Rear gear guys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AdamDude04

Reaction score
Drained and filled rear axle yesturday..

Gear fluid came out looking gray. This normal?

I didnt see any flakes of metal.. Just small grains like sand of metal

63bb94ab.png

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Not really...,

That is a sign of moisture gett'n in. :unsure:

RU drive'n in deep water...? [-X

Prob. didn't hurt anything at this point..., & prob. wouldn't hurt to change it again in a week or two.

OP
OP
A

AdamDude04

Reaction score
Not really...,

That is a sign of moisture gett'n in. :unsure:

RU drive'n in deep water...? [-X

Prob. didn't hurt anything at this point..., & prob. wouldn't hurt to change it again in a week or two.
No deep water. Only what I come up with camping.. Did get stuck in mud though lol

Good to know what gray means! Thanks!

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

Someday, pull rear wheels and check for wheel bearing/seal damage due to mositure/grime infiltration

Did you ck that VSS (also called ABS, DSS) Sensor tone ring (notched ring @ bottom of diff in your pic)

for any damage or excessive wear?

If there is then it will cause ABS issues (Amber light, etc...)

OP
OP
A

AdamDude04

Reaction score
I was wondering where those wires went to ontop of the axle.. Figured it was abs.

My brakes aren't that strong but also on dirt roads, sudden stops the wheels just lock up. How should abs feel on these old toys? My new trucks you can hear the master and feel it..

I plan on having wheel bearings checked next time it goes to mechanic. Going to have him go over the whole truck prior to our move

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
RABS Open System

The Rear ABS is what is called an "open" hydraulic system. When an ABS stop is initiated and wheel lock is detected, the isolation or inlet valve closes, preventing any more fluid from going to the rear wheels.

Then, if necessary to prevent lockup, an outlet or dump valve opens to bleed fluid out of the rear brake lines. That fluid goes to an accumulator and is held there for the remainder of the stop.

In RABS "open" system, if there is a low fluid condition and the red warning light comes on, the ABS electronic control unit will detect this condition, turn the amber (Yellow) ABS warning light on and disable the system. The vehicle operator will still have basic brake system performance, but the benefit of RABS is lost.

The reason for disabling the RABS is that the low fluid condition could be caused by a leak in the brake system, decreasing its performance.

That amber (Yellow) ABS Light in Instr Panel should Light for about 2 seconds when you start the Bronco; If you never see it come on, check Bulb; many owners remove the bulb instead of troubleshooting & repairing system

Here is the Overview by Jem

rabs-diagnosis-and-testing.jpg

OP
OP
A

AdamDude04

Reaction score
Good to know! Mine comes on for a couple seconds when started then stays off

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads