Rear driveshaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burns

Reaction score
Doing the u-joints on my 89's rear driveshaft. So far, smooth going. Until I hit this spring in the front half, inbetween the 2 u-joints. My questions are what is it, what's it do, and do I really NEED it? :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

92broncomann

Reaction score
I believe it helps keep everything aligned under stress and it applies pressure on that center pivot ball in the CV, not sure if you truely need it, but when i did mine i just put everything back the way it was, who knows if it would cause any problems without it tho.

OP
OP
B

Burns

Reaction score
Did the joints, found a spring that matched what came out. Still got the noise, but the joints DID need replacing anyway. I think the next step is cv joint its parts, then a rebalance.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
The centering spring and ball in the Double-Cardan joint keep pressure on the inner yoke for the outer u-joint. It can be a PITA to re-assemble everything, but I would not leave any parts out. If you lose one of the parts, you can get a repair kit for about $18-$20 fro mthe parts store. There may be a recent thread on the DC-joints, too. JSM84

http://broncozone.com/forums/index.php?sho...le-cardan+joint

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

Burns

Reaction score
Sweet, thanks JSM84. I think my best bet is to get a new cv joint, a small parts kit and rebuild it. I have a horrid vibration and clacking noise, from prior experience with said symptoms I did the joints. Not this time. Now all I need to do is get to a computer and read those manual pages and not do this on my phone haha. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK