rear break issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oblivious

Reaction score
I have a 91 bronco 5.8L. Just did the rear breaks. Now the parking break light and ABS light stay on. I did not mess with ABS connector. I read that I may need to disconnect the battery for about 5 min to reset the ABS light. Will this also work for the parking break light.

FYI..Just spent last two days completely changing front and rear breaks struggled through most of it. If I can help anyone out please ask.

bobstrat

Reaction score
is the pedal soft? did you bleed the system?

the abs light indicates a problem with the abs system, which may or may not affect the brake system.

the red brake light indicates a problem with the brake system itself. you probably should not drive the truck until this issue is fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
O

oblivious

Reaction score
The pedal is not soft and I bled the system. However I did not bleed ABS controller.

Thanks for the info

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Did you open the hydrolics, or just replace pads and shoes?

If you didn't open the hydrolics there should be no air in the system.

You said the problem came with changing the rear brakes. They may need adjustment. Too great a gap between the shoes and drum can trigger a warning light, as the system thinks there is a fluid leak.

There should be no reason to blead the ABS controller, UNLESS you let the master go dry.

If you did, go buy a Haynes manual and blead according to the procedure. It is pretty detailed, and I don't want to miss a step quoting it here.

Good Luck and let us all know how it turns out.

OP
OP
O

oblivious

Reaction score
Thank you for the help. I got it fixed. I disconnected the battery for about ten minutes to reset the computer. I doubled checked the clearance on the rear breaks all was well. Drove it to and from work today about 100 miles round trip and no issues thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23