Rear axle in and out play when on jack stands

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

creekindian

Reaction score
95 Eddie Bauer 5.8L

Put the beast on jack stands to check out the 4x4 drive train. 

Have replaced auto hubs with Manual. When in drive (2 0r 4) there is noise from rear. When stopped I can pull wheels out a little on both sides. Is this normal for wheels to move in and out a little? The wheels have no wobble as in the vertical  just in and out toward differential. 

On another note the push button control for transfer case, only the 4x4 high range button works but it only goes to low range. The low range button doesn't work. 

I've replaced all bearings in the front hubs from the axle spindle bearing out. They seem to spin nicely but in 4x4 drive the left tire spins equally but then slows down and then just fidgets. This is at idle.

When off and in 2w how much free play rotation should the front driveshaft have?

Inherited this beast back from my son and I'm having to be a forensic mechanic to figure out what he and his buds did or didn't do. The son just put the key in and drove. Apparently they had a real good time.

Thanks for any info.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
".......there is noise from rear. When stopped I can pull wheels out a little on both sides. Is this normal for wheels to move in and out a little?"

These rigs can be a bit noisy on stands.., with no load on the dr. train.

There should be some play.

"When off and in 2w how much free play rotation should the front driveshaft have?"

I'm thinking 100%  (hubs unlocked) with some drag trying to spin a wheel.

With hubs locked, wheels chocked.., probably about 1/4 inch. (check me on this)

Mine is 1/4" at the skinny shaft on the slip joint..., and of course, about 1/2"  out at the

U-joint.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke