Radius arm bracket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burns

Reaction score
I can't tell if this is the bracket I need to replace the end of the radius arm, that goes from the frame to the threaded back half of the radius arm, away from the tire. I'm buying an 89 bronco, since I totaled my 90. Long story short, someone cut me off in the snow, slid on the ice into a boulder, ripping the front axle apart and twisting the frame a bit. This bracket's the only thing wrong with the truck, really, other than the trans pan gasket and needs tires. I just want to make sure this is the part I need before buying it. Thanks guys.

OP
OP
B

Burns

Reaction score
Gonna sound silly, but it's not too hard to replace, right? just take weight off the axle and radius arm, unbolt, clean up, maybe replace bushings if needed, and rebold the set it down? Doesn't look difficult, but sometimes things are not what they seem.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
There's no silly questions, bro!!! I rate the repair a "2" on a 1-5 scale. Often, the factory bracket is riveted to the frame. YOu may be able to tell in the pic of my 88. You'll have to remove the rivets in some manner. I use a hand-held grinder to grind off the head of the rivet, then try to punch it out with a BFH. If it doesn't budge, then drill thur the rivet to relieve the stress, and the ntry the punch and BFH again. You have fuel and brake lines inside the frame on the driver's side, so beware of those and don't break'em. Once the rivets or bolts are removed, it's simply a matter of unbolting the large end nut and pulling the bracket off the end of the radius arm. You need to support the arm with a jack, and have jack stands under the frame. Another floor jack under the axle beams helps to support that from dropping down. When you go to bolt in the new bracket, first intsall it on the radius arm, with the large nut just snug. I've usually had to use a come-along or ratchet strap to persuade the radius arm into postion so the bolt holes on the bracket mate with those on the frame. Get one started, then maneuver the arm and bracket to get the next of all four bolts. I use Grade*8, 7/16' or 1/2' bolts and hardware, with Loctite RED to keep them from coming loose. It normally takes a first-timer about 3 hours to do one side, then about 30 minutes to do the other once you know what to do. I might have a write up in the Tech Articels forum, JSM84

Here's the link:

http://broncozone.com/forums/index.php?sho...adius+arm\

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK