Quick question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BUBBAS 666

Reaction score
I recently noticed a serious decrease in gas mileage, and whenever I really hammer on it, I get a horrible backfire right before it shifts.

I was wondering if my Air/Fuel ratio would cause that.

I don't have any O2 sensors, so that's what I'm leaning towards.

Would that be the place to start?

Thanks!

Ogeechee 4x4

Reaction score
I didn't realize I posted it so quick, haha.

Seriously doubt you hurt anything, tho.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

BUBBAS 666

Reaction score
Thanks again.

Do you know how many O2 sensors there are?

I can't remember and it's too dark to get up under the beast right now.

Yardape

Reaction score
The 2 immediate things that came to mind when I read this was 1) A badly stretched timing chain and 2) A sticky valve. Not diagnosing the problem but these are the things that come to mind right away that could cause that.

BB33's

Reaction score
Your gonna need to put them sensors back on. The computer reads the exhaust info at the first two sensors in the pipe and then whats coming out after the cats and determines if the engine is too rich or too lean and adjusts for it. Without those sensors your just confusing the computer. it probably wants to richen it up because it doesent "see" any pollutants from the first sensor or second. The backfiring is probably just unburnt fuel and that could also be why your mileage dropped.

OP
OP
B

BUBBAS 666

Reaction score
Thanks Yardape fore the suggestion.

I'm planning on getting a cam kit that includes a new timing chain and all the like, so we'll see what happens.

The 96 has three, one on each side of the y-pipe and on just past the second cat.
Thanks, I remembered the first two, the ones where they connect where my headers are.

Just couldn't remember if there were anymore.

Thanks BB33 that's what I was thinking. I'll be heading to the muffler shop during lunch time tomorrow to get that taken care of... I don't like going through a tank in two weeks... no matter how cheap gas is right now. And I really don't like backfiring while it shifts... makes the Bronco look bad.

OP
OP
B

BUBBAS 666

Reaction score
Sounds like it was sweet. lol.

I live 2.3 miles from work and I loose a lot of gas by being "that guy" that has to jump off the line as quick as I can.

It's fun, and the beast will throw you back in your seat lol.

Everyone else just thinks I'm an ass ha ha ha.

OP
OP
B

BUBBAS 666

Reaction score
Ha ha ha... I know what you mean lol.

All these new trucks pull up next to me with their cat back exhaust, thinking they're bad ass... and then I roar the ole' 351 a couple of times with my dumped exhaust and long tubes... it shuts em up... and if it doesn't... the fact that I spank them whenever we get off the red does.

Ahhh... so much fun owning something of value.

BB33's

Reaction score
I am taking the advanced engine class at my comunnity college and all the kids there seem to have hondas or nissans, you'd think 19 and 20 year olds would stop playing with zipzaps by that age, So sad.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david@holycitytransportat