Propane and extended half cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigbluebronc

Reaction score
I like too do extreme up and down trails(rocky).... and the down hills with my Truck avenger carb is not working (right when the rear tires lift the engina stalls). I put in a rear sinch wench did not help...I tried multible idle speeds helped a little... All in all I needed to change the carb too something else...Looked at mustang fuel injection in my junk yards found nothing (over four or five months of hunting), looked into tbi just as expensive and the yards where clear of such goods(total all goods)..

Finally (since my rig is a trailer @itch too the trail) I decided too go propane(plus I should be able too run upsidedown at all altitudes(for a while)), bought a kit its in transit and some tanks 18 gallons worth also in transit....

The reason for the extended half cab is the propane tanks(fork lift tanks cheapest) have to be outside the cab..A real half cab is too much $$$$$

I am gonna cut a full top down too a extended cab top still thinking of ways too section it for strength......The full top is really heavy too...

The only problem will be the cage( with the cab shortened I still want the rear window too open and I dont want an exo cage I will have too input some x bracing and some door bars too make it safer then the six point cage, it is probapy the right time too attach the cage too the frame too, but I will get that behind the seat storage for all those goodies I carry and they wont get stolen!!

Plus I wheell in the snow so I have less area too heat...and I can get rid of the full soft top and bimini top..

Best case I wont stall down hill, I have more undercarage clearanse in the rear, I will have a crazy rig, and be ( is propane green), green... at least next time I lean over I wont spill gas in the dirt...

I am planning a pictorial install for those whom might be interested in either the full top cut ot the propane install

Brian

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
Did you get the stuff installed? I went Holley ProJection which works great but expensive. I'm curious how the propane works out for you power wise.

OP
OP
bigbluebronc

bigbluebronc

Reaction score
Did you get the stuff installed? I went Holley ProJection which works great but expensive. I'm curious how the propane works out for you power wise.
Got the whole propane stuff installed today and drove some streets. Its idles way better and idle recovery(I have a big big cam the last guy installed and intake and headers and milled heads ) with this motor I was surprised it idled at 400 (roughly), normally I ran a 900-1000 idle too keep from stalling , today it was nice at 650-700 RPMS... I cant wait too go climb something and see what happens. The install was easy(bolt on) except I had too make a bracket for the vaperizor(I dont have any inner fender wells too bolt stuff too). The whole system break down was, Propane kit new 700, 10 and 8 gallon tanks and straps 390, 50 misc.

1140 Total and I still get too sell my 23 gallon tank and 670 holley truck avenger carb. So it was not so bad price wise if you can deal with the propane fill ups. Propane has higher octane so thus my engina was happier.I might get to advance the timing a pince. I used too run premieum and some octane boost or a little aiv gas mixed in (left over from some boating friends), too make it run good. I dont know about total power but the other benefits will be worth it for me(no more down hill stalls, and elevation jetting problems(I wheel from 1000 to 8000 ft)) Thats all I got for now.

BBB

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
Sweet! Let me know how it performs. My guess is it will work out great. Any web links to where you got the propane kit from?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23