Power Steering upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gettin there

Reaction score
I am intrested in upgrading to power steering on my 70 bronco. A few months ago I had some great sites saved telling me which PS boxes were interchangeable with the EB. Unfortunatly, my computer crashed and all was lost. There was one article in particuler that mentioned a 1980's Ford F-150 PS box and replacing the worm gear with my original worm gear from the EB box. If anyone has a copy or site I would appreciate th help. The article also mentioned all could be done under three hundred dollars. I'm not cheap but the project exceeded budget about a week into it:)

Aslo, if anyone has done this project is the $400.00 saved worth the risk of using old equipment for something as important as steering?

Thanks!

She's almost road ready. Bumpers and insurance and away we go.

S_bolt19

Reaction score
In all honesty, I wouldn't do anything but an EB to EB swap. There is the F-150, Scout, Toyota and a few others out there, but the problem you are going to run into any of them, with the exception of the EB, is that they either have to have mounting brackets, hang down lower or you have to drill extra holes in your frame. If you can find an EB set up, you can do the complete conversion in a day and it is something that was made to go in there. Same exact holes, very little extra work to do. They come out of a 73-75. Don't get a 76-77 because those have different steering linkages and won't fit correctly. If I were you, I would wait until I found the EB conversion. You will be happier with it and it is also a much cleaner installation than ANY of the others. I looked at almost every other conversion and thought they all looked like junk compared to a completely stock looking setup.

OP
OP
G

gettin there

Reaction score
In all honesty, I wouldn't do anything but an EB to EB swap. There is the F-150, Scout, Toyota and a few others out there, but the problem you are going to run into any of them, with the exception of the EB, is that they either have to have mounting brackets, hang down lower or you have to drill extra holes in your frame. If you can find an EB set up, you can do the complete conversion in a day and it is something that was made to go in there. Same exact holes, very little extra work to do. They come out of a 73-75. Don't get a 76-77 because those have different steering linkages and won't fit correctly. If I were you, I would wait until I found the EB conversion. You will be happier with it and it is also a much cleaner installation than ANY of the others. I looked at almost every other conversion and thought they all looked like junk compared to a completely stock looking setup.
I believe you are right. Since it will be driven a good bit on road we should do it right.

Thanks for the imput.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23