Power Steering Rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

indoz

Reaction score
A few months ago I had an accident in which another vehicle hit my left front wheel this caused the chassis to be twisted one inch, this was straightened, however last week when I was turning around in the yard and my steering was at full lock all three bolts that connect the power steering rack to the chassis snapped off with the sound of gunshots, totally disabling the steering, this frightened the **** out of me since I was just on my way with my granddaughter in the car, I was lucky this happened at home. Since then I checked the bolts which were only a code 3 and I have been told by people in the know that there was a recall on this system ( I cannot be sure of this) for which the cure was to add an extra 4th bolt, I found one place to tap a hole to insert an extra bolt but it can only be less than an inch deep otherwise you hit oil like I did. The signs to look for are crackling sounds when turning full lock, meaning the bolts are coming loose and this little bit of play will eventually snap them. I have replaced the bolts with code 8's and plenty of permanent Loctite, and believe me I listen for the crackling all the time. I hope this can prevent the same thing to happen to any of you.

Henk from Oz

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sf66