Power Steering Pump Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stankydude

Reaction score
Howdy all,

I just had my tired 351m swapped with a rebuilt 390 in my 78 F-250 super cab. The engine was complete, but the guy used my old power steering pump. He ran one long belt to all four pulleys closest to the block (alternator, crank, fan and ps pump). This causes the belt to be within 1/8" from the lower radiator hose on the ps pump side and it is rubbing.

So I'd like to put spacers behind the ps bracket to bring the pulley even with the second groove on the crank, and run two belts. One for alternator, crank and fan (on the first groove) and one for power steering pump, crank and fan (on second groove).

ONE PROBLEM :wacko: the ps pump pulley is within 1/4" of the steering box, so if I want to move it forward to line it up, I'll have to swap the original 6" pulley with a 5 1/2" or 5". I can't move the entire pump any closer to the block either, so I can't really see any other solution (other than a whole new pump???).

so if anyone's ever had this problem, could you please let me know where the heck you got a new ps pump pulley.... I can't seem to find one anywhere.

many thanks,

Aaron (stankydude)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
S

stankydude

Reaction score
Thanks 4xfan78, but I already gave that a try. The bracket sits too low and the pump winds up hitting.

I appreciate your input though.

Aaron (stankydude)

4xfan78

Reaction score
All else fails change the pump pulley, the 5" should work might turn alittle faster but I do not see how that can hurt as long as you're hoses are in good shape.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23