Passenger-Side Airbag on a 1994 Bronco?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bambaataa

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a 1994 Bronco. The model came standard with a driver-side airbag, but I am hoping to also have a passenger-side airbag installed. Is this possible? Should be a bit easier on the 1994 model, since there's already a driver-side airbag.

Does anyone know of a shop that would be willing to retrofit a passenger airbag? Have had no luck finding one so far...

Thanks,

Evan

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
To date novbody makes an "add on" airbag system for any vehicle. The liability and safety testing needed for compliance would make anything produced cost far more than most anyone is willing to spend.

Good Idea though. I would like to get one for my S10.

If anyone has any really good ideas let me hear them. Maybe with all the bright minds on here we can come up with something !

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

If you could swap a 97 or later F series instr panel in w/dual ABs...

Here is one Swap, but w/out the bags, because Quint wrote;

"...Airbags

These are a nice safety feature on vehicles manufactured in the last decade. The ’04 has driver and passenger side airbags that somehow remained intact. That means I could and should put airbags in my ’78 bronco! WRONG! The ’04 has crash severity sensors in the nose (plus a driver seat position sensor) that tell the airbags when and how hard to inflate. It also has front crumple zones that help reduce the felt G-forces in a crash situation. My bronco has no such crumple zones and will either destroy (my preference) or bounce off of (much higher G-forces, ouch) an object it runs into. Let’s say I leave the airbag systems active and get into a head-on collision. If the airbag deploys too soon I’ll slam into a deflating bag and hit the steering wheel like I normally would. If it deploys late I could have already impacted the steering wheel only to then be slammed backward by the delayed explosive inflation of the bag. No thank you. I’ll stick with my seatbelts..."

1978, Source: by Quint C (Quints Bronco Project) - transformation w/2004 F-150 Supercrew 5.4 Triton engine, transmission, firewall section, dash, transmission cross member mods/mount mod, wiper mod; diamond plate, paint, fuel tank & pump replacement/mods: steering column mods, master cylinder & ABS valve assembly, ps cooler, hood latch, frame mod for AC compressor, brake flex lines, VSS, Detroit Truetrac® installation pics, power window installation

But 94-96 Broncos do have frame crumple zones; & Sensors; The sensors are an electrical switch which reacts to impacts according to direction and force. It discriminates between impacts that require air bag deployment and impacts that do not. When an impact occurs that requires deployment, the sensor contacts close, completing the electrical circuit necessary for the system to operate. The sensors are located in the vehicle in several places; primary crash sensors and brackets are located on the left and right front radiator supports. Rear Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Assembly (also called the Safing Sensor) is at the base of the RH (passenger side) B Pillar. The safing and one of the primary sensors must be activated simultaneously to inflate the air bag

Some background;

Breed Technology introduced an aftermarket mechanical air bag system for retrofitting older vehicles that were not factory equipped with a supplemental restraint system. The self-contained air bag module & steering wheel was for professional installers only, and was sold through Midas Muffler shops in the late 1990s. When Breed filed bankrupcy in 1999, it .....ed all their shareholders by writing off all of their common stock, the aftermarket air bag line was discontinued. The company is now named Key Safety Inc. and continues to do business as an OEM air bag supplier.

Midas muffler started installing airbag systems in older vehicle in 1996; $700 range, here is an article

http://www.allbusiness.com/company-activities-management/company-structures-ownership/7218955-1.html

I know others tried too..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danno