part interchange

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goinpostal2009

Reaction score
These questions may have been posed before so I apologize beforehand. Will a swing-away spare tire carrier off of a 1989 fullsize Bronco work on a fullsize 1985 Bronco? Did Ford offer a swing-away carrier that didn't require a holdmount that bolts to the tailgate? I'm asking because I just bought a 1985 FS Bronco and there are threaded holes mounted in the RR quarter panel where the carrier mounts but there are no holes where the holdmount,stopmount,whatever it's called mounts to the tailgate. There's a truck junkyard near where I work that has a carrier but as I mentioned earlier it's a 1989.

Oh yeah-hello from a newbie here from Greer,SC!

Last edited by a moderator:

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Welcome to Bronco Zone!!! The outside tire carrier will swap bewteen year models, although there are slight styling differences for later models. Only a real Bronco guru will notice the difference in the center-plate width and added bracing on later models. All of the carrier use a tailgate support bracket, so if your rear quarters have the holes the tailgate may have been swapped out (likely due to common rust issues). You can install just the inner support bracket for the tailgate and drill holes thru the skin if you really want to use the outside carrier. Just my $0.02, it's a bad design that puts too much stress on the rear quarter panel, even with a stock tire. I've seen many panels get crumpled or damaged from the carrier swinging out too far. I've purchased a few used carriers for $30-$40 to cut up into tube doors, so that will give you a ballpark figure for the yard. JSM84

shift1313

Reaction score
I agree. I cut apart a bronco that had a rear tire carrier and it puts a lot of stress on the panel. I prefer either the internal tire mount or an aftermarket bumper mounted setup. It will put the weight of the spare on the frame rather than the 1/4 and tailgate.

bluesman17

Spam Terminator
Reaction score
I agree and it also seems to put stress on the tailgate (at least once it starts rusting) That being said though Ive always preferred the outside carrier to the inside one aesthetically.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke