Options for a 460 donor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bvteachey

Reaction score
So guys I recently purchased a 460 for my 79 Bronco. The donor is a 1976 Ford Chateau which is a RV. Ive reconditioned the motor and got everything ready to put in my truck... BUT I see that what Im going to call ******* on both the motor and transmission are opposite of the 460 thats coming out. In other words the ******* on both the motor and transmission are both on the passengers side in the same spot and the drivers side has openings on both the motor and transmission where the ******* should lock the two together. My questions are A. Does the engine really need these ******* to function correctly? B. Can the ******* be taken from one spot and inserted into the correct spots? OR C. Am I just screwed on this deal? Any input is appreciated guys. Thanks alot!

BUCKIN'94WFO

Reaction score
Yep...like Budster said- they're just locator dowels that make sure the crank and torque converter centerlines are properly aligned. Simply grab the dowel in the transmission and twist it as you pull it out. Then transfer it to the other side of the motor and sand it back smooth if you marred it up with the vise grips. I suggest the removal from the transmission instead of the engine simply because the aluminum is MORE likely to give up its grip than the iron block! BTW-Did you go with the L&L mounts or the pancake/cube and plate type? Just wonderin'. I've considered using the less expensive pancake motor mount alternative and adding the good ol' fashioned loggin' chain and turnbuckles trick to keep mine anchored down! Good luck with it and show us the progress and tricks/tips you used.

Last edited by a moderator:

tony k

Reaction score
you will find this swap to be the best thing you have ever done. I used the L&L kit with the inboard headers and have never looked back. Everything from the kit worked like a champ and the 460 gets better fuel milage, burns cleaner, and sooo much more power than the 400 it replaced. I used Keith Black pistons, 72cc heads with a roller rocker set-up and high rev guides, a crane hmv cam, Edlebrock intake, jacobs electronic ignition, High volume oil pump with extended capacity oil pan, remote oil filter and cooler, and had the reciprocating parts balanced. the C-6 was rebuilt with a AOD first gear set-up and a fully locking torgue converter. The combination has pulled camp trailers, horse trailers, boats, 4-wheeled all over northern New Mexico, and lived through two daughters driving it to school (one daughter picked this Bronco over a 928 porsche).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23