o 2 sensor trouble?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Devil Dog08

Reaction score
hello guys and girls  hope everyone is doing great....im having an issue with my check engine light coming on and then going off..my truck is a  1995 full size bronco  5.8 the truck  drives fine  then all  a sudden it will bog out  for a second or two. it kind of feels like when your TPS is going bad but without the erratic shifting .  by  the way I just  installed a new TPS about a month ago and with that issue the ck. engine light stayed on. also Im noticing a lot more fuel is being burnt up.  this is why I am leaning toward a oxygen sensor.if I was too disconnect the o2 sensor at the pigtail  I know my ck . engine light would stay on but can I  roadtest it  on  the highway to if my issue was resolved ? I have a tester but with my poor hearing it is very difficult to hear the beeps.....and again thank you all so much for all your help

BMAD01

Reaction score
Why not drive down to Oreillys or Auto Zone and have them pull codes off it for you.  This way your not guessing on what the problem is.  Good luck Dog...

Seabronc

Reaction score
my autozone doesn't have the obd for my year truck .but thanks
You are still going to need to get the codes or you will be just wasting a lot of money guessing.  Your fuel mixture will never be right if the computer can't read the sensors.  Maybe you can get a friend to help you pull the codes manually.

:)>-

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo dog,

As Bmad advised;

Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)s by my pal, BroncoJoe19

http://broncozone.com/topic/14269-code-reader/?pid=74587&mode=threaded

Most significant; "The computer will tell you what it found out by testing your sensors, and also any stored information it saved from anything that went wrong during the last 40 trips to the store. It will tell you by flashing your "check engine light" if your truck is 1988-1995"

Expect 3 digit code (s), if any

Some basics;

The engine temperature must be greater than 50° F for the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Self-Test and greater than 180° F for the Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test.

Run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears including Reverse.

Make sure A/C is off and transmission is in Park (automatic); or in Neutral for a Manual & release clutch.

Then turn off engine, all accessories/lights (close driver's door) , etc.

Do KOEO test First

Post Code(s) here according to:

KOEO

&

KOER

GL!

OP
OP
Devil Dog08

Devil Dog08

Reaction score
just an update on my ck. engine light issue..i ending up  getting code 17 . went and bought a Bosch o2 sensor sprayed the old one with PB blaster went in the house had a cup of coffee  came out about a half hour later disconnected the pigtail from the old o2 sensor   slid a 7/8 th wrench through  the old pigtail lonto the nut of the o2 put  some foot power into it  came off with  a bit of effort replaced with  the new one .the bosch sensor came with anti seize grease . as soon as I started the engine I noticed how smooth it felt  ran it up  and down I-95 there was no bogging out  or no ck. engine light. besides the ride it ran like it came off the showroom floor and sooo much more power  .by the way the o2 sensor on cost 44 bucks  .  getting the old one out and installing the new one  took me 17 minutes ..thanks again for all your help mike

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23