No Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big jon

Reaction score
im new here i just came across a 89 bronco eddie bower for sale, the problem is that when you turn the key nothing happens i tried to jump the silinoid and still nothing. i have been a harley davidson mechanic for 10 yrs so i know how to read a wireing diagram and use a volt meter. i have heard a few bad things about haynes and chiltons manuals . could someone tell me the best one to use and any ideas on what could be problem.thanks for your help..............big jon

3fords

Reaction score
to answer your manual question I find my haynes has the better wiring diagrams and you could have a bad solenoid and since your a harley mechanic I trust you did the basic as far as tighten the cables etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Couple others, Did you turn eng. by hand to check for a "frozen" motor ?

Is there a volt. drop on the batt. when you hit the key ? (could be a bad key-switch.)

Easy to pull starter & bench test. or use a remote starter switch.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Welcome to the zone
clap.gif

Sounds like a good chance to get a bronco for less than it's realy worth. Since it won't start right now, I'd buy it as is and fix it after :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> . If I understand you correctly, you jumpered the solinoid contacts, right? If so, and nothing happened, there aren't to many things it could be;

Bad battery

Bad starter

Bad connections

at battery, at starter, ground connection from battery to engine

I left out solinoid since you seem to have eliminated by jumping the large solinoid posts. However, you could also check the solinoid operation by jumping one of the small posts to battery + providing the battery is good.

As far as Chiltons, Haynes or other; In order of my preference is;

A real shop manual

Haynes

Chiltons

Haynes and chiltons are a readers digest version of a real shop manual.

attached is a diagram, but don't take it totally to heart as it is for a Druaspark II system but the start part is most likely still the same in an 89. You will note a neutral switch that can be a problem if the key doesn't cause the solinoid to operate but jumpering the small post does.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
B

big jon

Reaction score
to ans highboys question all the lights, windows, raido and wopers work when you trun the ignation key on. i just bought the 89 EB today for 400.00 dollarsi need to replace the engine (ill rebuild the one from my 86 )and i want to put my lift kit and tires from my 86 on it. the frame is solid and the body has some surface rust on it ,ill sand it and repaint it i think i got a great deal.....thanks for all the help......big jon

highboy73

FORDing thru life
Reaction score
well...I'd take the wire off the s terminal of the sillynoid and turn the key,see if you got 12 volts,yeah well the you got power there....hook it back up hit the key again see if you got 12 on the side to the starter...yup,check it at the starter too.

if you do take the starter off idiotzone tests them for free.

good luck sounds you got some work ahead of you.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wdtdls