Delayed Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Airborn1

Reaction score
1993 Ford Bronco EB, 351 Windsor, recently installed past 2 years.

2 issues for discussion:
1) there is a delayed start, but mostly the first start of the day it starts right up. After that when stopped and restarted it is delayed. The guy that did the swap said it was the fuel pressure and there is a valve that can fail when fuel is being sent back somewhere, where it loses pressure and causes this delayed start. He said the pump was fine, and it was this valve but the entire pump still needed to be replaced because after a while of this continuous malfunction, the pump becomes challenged and then fails. Thoughts? I know this guy is a mechanic and I should just take his word but thought Id check in.
2) Last summer, not long after the 351 install in very hot weather, 95-100. I'm here in Albuquerque. The truck would sputter like **** and Id barely make it home. During the winter this never happened. When I looked this up using google I found a few articles that said this was a miscommunication with some computer and the temperature, where it was confused and thought the vehicle was overheating or something similar, thoughts?
thank you in advance!

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Few things can do it, but fuel pressure is a common one.

Really need to get a gauge on it to diagnose properly.

Try cycling the key 2 or 3 times before cranking the engine when hot, see if it starts better.
What that does is clear the fuel rail. Prime the fuel system.
It could be pressure regulator weak, fuel running back to the tank. Low pressure and flow from the pump also allows the fuel to boil in the rail on hot restarts making them hard to start.

If that doesn't help. Then need to start looking at things like Intake Temp, EGR position. ECT maybe.

Jimbo26

Reaction score
Few things can do it, but fuel pressure is a common one......................

..If that doesn't help. Then need to start looking at things like Intake Temp, EGR position. ECT maybe.
That and get a bigger 💥🔨 hammer.

OP
OP
Airborn1

Airborn1

Reaction score
Few things can do it, but fuel pressure is a common one.

Really need to get a gauge on it to diagnose properly.

Try cycling the key 2 or 3 times before cranking the engine when hot, see if it starts better.
What that does is clear the fuel rail. Prime the fuel system.
It could be pressure regulator weak, fuel running back to the tank. Low pressure and flow from the pump also allows the fuel to boil in the rail on hot restarts making them hard to start.

If that doesn't help. Then need to start looking at things like Intake Temp, EGR position. ECT maybe.
thanks Buddy!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke