New paint job

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AdamDude04

Reaction score
How much would it cost you think for a whole new repair an paint job?

I have rust bubbles starting to form by the rear wheel wells. And the protective undercoat on the frame is starting to come off in places.

When I throw this new motor in, I want to get everything repainted and repaired. Ideas of ball park I should expect?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

Depends on shop labor rate in your area; In NYC, rate is over $120/hr

For recent 1/4 panel replacement and paint on one side = $3k

Better to use patch panels and have em do them with adhesives in lieu of complete 1/4 panel

As I mentioned to you here awhile ago; bubbles usually = hidden rust inside panels (99.9% of time)

Here are patch panels from MAIN SPONSOR here, Jeff's Bronco Graveyard

Rear Wheel Arch Panel Right 39in x 13in 87-96

# 34182

New

1987-96 Ford Bronco

1987-96 Ford Truck

Pass Side

Price: $35.00

Left Front Lower Quarter Panel Section

# 34183

New

1987-96 Ford Bronco

Drivers Side

Price: $45.00

Left Rear Lower Quarter Panel Section

# 34185

New

1987-96 Ford Bronco

Drivers Side

Price: $48.00

--

Compare $ to

Item #34170 - New

1987-96 Bronco

Pass Side

Truck Ship

Excellent quality aftermarket rear quarter panel for 1987-96 Bronco.

This item ships as truck freight. We will contact by phone or email to confirm the shipping charges and total. Your order WILL NOT SHIP until that confirmation is received.

Our Price: $249.00

OP
OP
A

AdamDude04

Reaction score
Yeah I remember you telling me about the hidden. ESP that bar brace where water collects up on the inside.

I do plan on replacing parts as needed to cut down labor. Still debating if I want a Fiberglas hood or not lol. I still want my truck to be a tank if I get in a wreck

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

I hear ya.

Travel around the local car scene; look for some custom paint jobs or restos on older cars/trucks & ask owners where they had their paint/body work done.

GL

BUCKIN'94WFO

Reaction score
I took my '94 to a local shop in town who are known for good work. They quoted me $2500 for a complete repaint done right. That is remove ALL rubber and trim then sand off clear coat, repair whatever rough spots & reweld the little crow foot cracks the '80 through '96's get at the top corner on the door frame/roof area.Then two tone the paint and shoot clear. All in all I thought that was fairly respectable for the amount of work they were talkin'. Hope that gives you a startin' point to work with. I really don't NEED new paint. I was just drivin' around bored one day after washin' it up real good, and thought "What the ****. I'll step in here and get a qoute".

OP
OP
A

AdamDude04

Reaction score
Main thing is fixing the minor inner rust issues. Paint looks good. But it could be better.

Thanks for the rough price range!

jim Owens

Reaction score
I recently was talking to a paint and body guy about the same thing. I was looking at buying a bronco that had cancer on the fenders both sides and the tail gate and behind the doors. He told me to replace all the sheet metal, remove all the interior rust and replace any interior panels and repaint the whole truck would run anywhere from 3500 to 5000 depending on how much welding and panel work there was. He showed me pictures of one that was almost as bad as the one I was looking at and it ran right at 4000 for everything.

Krafty

Reaction score
Here is an idea, become really good friends with a mechno nerd such as myself, get him all hammered up and offer him $100 and a case of beer to do it then all you have to do is pay for the parts. or spend 400 on a welder and learn how to weld your self lol.

Seabronc

Reaction score
LOL Krafty :lol: , I agree, I just spent the last year and a half doing just that as I had time; rocker panels, driver floor panel, lower B-posts, rear body support. tailgate support, quarter panels, body mounts, radiator mounts,(front fenders and tailgate was done previously). A few of the pictures are in my gallery (not in my supermotors pictures yet). It is a lot of work and may be worth it to you to take the guy up on his offer. One thing for sure, if you do it yourself you will have a lot of bonding time with your truck ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> .

Good luck,

:)>-

duckdogwhiskey

duckdogwhiskey
Reaction score
I will post pics of my home paint job tomorrow. Borrowed a set of decent guns to do the job. Basically just sanded til it was fairly smooth from 180 to 400, primer coat, wet sand at about 800, then i went with 2 coats of GM army drab that came from Oreilly. There was mixing this and measuring that but by far the hardest part of the job was the sanding and careful masking. I think it looks good for a home job and my materials were about $500. I also had some bondo work to do. All in all, I would do it again as it was a big facelift to the oxidised mess that it was, but then again, I wasn't expecting showroom quality either. I will post tomorrow the before and after pics. As Miesk said, the JBG panels seem pretty reasonable and certainly would be alot easier to do right than trying to fix a mess of dings.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23