New Here!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LBJ40

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm Jon. This is my '94. I bought it in '98 just before my 16th Birthday. It's been in storage for the last year and I haven't paid enough attention to it in the years before that. But now it's out of storage and I'm ready to get it back in to shape. Starting with the simple maintenance things as I work the kinks out of it. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions along the way since there are a few issues that I don't even really know where to begin with.

Attachments

• 20210328_162350.jpg
    20210328_162350.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Jon,
Welcome and Ask Away!
ASAP, find out if speed control recall work, if equipped was completed. If you still have concerns about Recalls, please contact the Ford Customer Relationship Center:
US: 800-392-3673 | CA: 800-565-3673
Note: 3673 spells "FORD" on phone keys
For the hearing- or speech-impaired: Please contact the Telecommunication Relay Service by dialing 71
... have VIN ready.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
See this guide by jowens1126 to confirm recall status @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than 94-96.

1994 Bronco Dealer Brochure by Ford via Dezo's Garage @ https://www.xr793.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/1994-Ford-Bronco.pdf

1994 Bronco Brochure, Partial; Cover & Page 3; plus pics of EDDIE BAUER model accessories.
by Ford via BigRob at 1994 Ford Bronco Bronco Accessories pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf via BroncMom
Al

paul rondelli

Reaction score
Looks in real decent shape.

So you have a University of Auburn sticker …… Virginia plates …. and currently living in Denver. before long you will end up in Alaska

I see snow on the ground behind the Bronco … and a little rust spot on the rear quarter panel …. I would start by rust proofing everything you can with a rust encapsulator like POR 15.

OP
OP
LBJ40

LBJ40

Reaction score
Yo Jon,
Welcome and Ask Away!
ASAP, find out if speed control recall work, if equipped was completed. If you still have concerns about Recalls, please contact the Ford Customer Relationship Center:
US: 800-392-3673 | CA: 800-565-3673
Note: 3673 spells "FORD" on phone keys
For the hearing- or speech-impaired: Please contact the Telecommunication Relay Service by dialing 71
... have VIN ready.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
See this guide by jowens1126 to confirm recall status @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than 94-96.

1994 Bronco Dealer Brochure by Ford via Dezo's Garage @ https://www.xr793.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/1994-Ford-Bronco.pdf

1994 Bronco Brochure, Partial; Cover & Page 3; plus pics of EDDIE BAUER model accessories.
by Ford via BigRob at 1994 Ford Bronco Bronco Accessories pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf via BroncMom
Al
Thanks for all of the links! Very cool stuff. I did the recall sometime ago thankfully. Now it's just time to start changing out the plugs and wires, probably clean up a few sensors and seer what's going on.

My 2 biggest problems that I know of were surging issues. before it went in to storage if I was driving with the AC on there were some very subtle surging going on. And also at highway speeds I was getting some heavy surging going on the RPM would just soar. Seemed to happen if I was going over 65mph.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Jon,
YW!
For the surge;
Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes by my pal, BroncoJoe19 @ Code Reader.....

PCM stores the Self-Test program in permanent memory. When activated, Self-Test checks the EEC system by testing memory integrity and processing capability, and verifies that various sensors and actuators are connected and operating properly.

The engine temperature must be greater than 50° F for the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Self-Test and greater than 180° F for the Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test. Run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears including Reverse. Make sure A/C is off and transmission is in Park (automatic); or in Neutral for a Manual and; release clutch. Then turn off engine, all accessories/lights (close driver's door) , etc.

Do KOEO test First. Post Code(s) here according to KOEO and KOER.

A helper can assist you by counting the codes. Some use their smart phones to record them.

BEWARE OF FAN, BELTS, PULLEYS, HOT HOSES, IGNITION HIGH TENSION WIRES, AND ENGINE COMPONENTS⚠

Or ask local mom and dad parts stores if they will test it for you.

Or purchase a coder reader such as Equus 3145 Innova OBD I Code Reader for Ford EEC IV Engines at Walmart & most parts stores.
□•□
●See my Vacuum leak test in post #11 incl jowens126 's HVAC Control Panel info @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/threads/help-with-dtc-codes-and-idle.206824/

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200510-115313.jpg
    Screenshot_20200510-115313.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
OP
OP
LBJ40

LBJ40

Reaction score
yo Jon,
YW!
For the surge;
Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes by my pal, BroncoJoe19 @ Code Reader.....

PCM stores the Self-Test program in permanent memory. When activated, Self-Test checks the EEC system by testing memory integrity and processing capability, and verifies that various sensors and actuators are connected and operating properly.

The engine temperature must be greater than 50° F for the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Self-Test and greater than 180° F for the Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test. Run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears including Reverse. Make sure A/C is off and transmission is in Park (automatic); or in Neutral for a Manual and; release clutch. Then turn off engine, all accessories/lights (close driver's door) , etc.

Do KOEO test First. Post Code(s) here according to KOEO and KOER.

A helper can assist you by counting the codes. Some use their smart phones to record them.

BEWARE OF FAN, BELTS, PULLEYS, HOT HOSES, IGNITION HIGH TENSION WIRES, AND ENGINE COMPONENTS⚠

Or ask local mom and dad parts stores if they will test it for you.

Or purchase a coder reader such as Equus 3145 Innova OBD I Code Reader for Ford EEC IV Engines at Walmart & most parts stores.
□•□
●See my Vacuum leak test in post #11 incl jowens126 's HVAC Control Panel info @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/threads/help-with-dtc-codes-and-idle.206824/
Thanks again! I'll read deeper in to this soon.

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm Jon. This is my '94. I bought it in '98 just before my 16th Birthday. It's been in storage for the last year and I haven't paid enough attention to it in the years before that. But now it's out of storage and I'm ready to get it back in to shape. Starting with the simple maintenance things as I work the kinks out of it. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions along the way since there are a few issues that I don't even really know where to begin with.

Are you planning on other upgrades/add ons in the near future? Nice clean Bronco for sure!

OP
OP
LBJ40

LBJ40

Reaction score
Looks in real decent shape.

So you have a University of Auburn sticker …… Virginia plates …. and currently living in Denver. before long you will end up in Alaska

I see snow on the ground behind the Bronco … and a little rust spot on the rear quarter panel …. I would start by rust proofing everything you can with a rust encapsulator like POR 15.
I don't think I'd mind ending up in Alaska. Thanks for the tip on the POR 15. I'll look in to that it has been an east coast truck most of it's life so it's got a few wounds I'll have to deal with. It's been here in Denver for a little while but in storage most of the time, which is why I haven't changed the plates yet.

OP
OP
LBJ40

LBJ40

Reaction score
Are you planning on other upgrades/add ons in the near future? Nice clean Bronco for sure!
I have a few things planned but they will take some time due to other things in my life requiring money too. The big changes would be a new rear bumper with a tire carrier mounted to it and then a 4" lift eventually. Anything else would mostly just be performance and maintenance related changes.

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have a few things planned but they will take some time due to other things in my life requiring money too. The big changes would be a new rear bumper with a tire carrier mounted to it and then a 4" lift eventually. Anything else would mostly just be performance and maintenance related changes.
Totally understand! When you do add all those goodies, let us know here..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke