Need Brake Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Broncobuster

Broncobuster
Reaction score
I have a 78 Bronco custom, 400, C-6, 205, D-44 fr., 9" rr. stock discs on front, stock drums on back. Here is my problem: I have replaced the master cylinder, power booster, calipers, rotors, pads, drums, shoes, hardware, wheel cylinders, proportioning valve, and all lines. I have gravity bled, pedal bled, vavuum bled and pressure bled. I can't find any leeks or air. I bought an SSBC line pressure guage kit and am getting 1400# on front and 600# on rear.

With all this work I still can't get the front to lock up and the pedal still feels mushy. I almost forgot....I have also adjusted the plunger on the booster to factory spec. Then took it out to the point of pressure build-up (not releasing pressure) then backed it off a hair. The only difference I felt was the pedal started activating the system sooner, but no change in feel. The brakes work....but not near good enough to put it back on the road.

Any ideas would be appreciated! I've never had this problem with any other vehicle!

Fritz180

Reaction score
I had an issue like that awhile ago, so I replaced the master cylinder and still had the same issue. I found out that the new master cylinder I bought was defective. I replaced it with another new one and my brakes seem to work good now. Also I'm sure you did but make sure the vacuum line is hooked up to the booster and to the intake. I'm not sure if this helps at all, but I'll throw in my 2 cents.

OP
OP
B

Broncobuster

Broncobuster
Reaction score
I had an issue like that awhile ago, so I replaced the master cylinder and still had the same issue. I found out that the new master cylinder I bought was defective. I replaced it with another new one and my brakes seem to work good now. Also I'm sure you did but make sure the vacuum line is hooked up to the booster and to the intake. I'm not sure if this helps at all, but I'll throw in my 2 cents.
Thanks for the suggestion....I only get to wrench on it a couple hours at a time....I'm going through everything with a fine tooth comb. I even lightly filed the mounting slots of the calipers and made sure I could slide them by hand (no binding). I am on master cyl. #3.

Johnny Reb

Reaction score
you might also want to check the vaccum valve switch that goes into your master cylinder. While you are at it--look up under the(dash) steering wheel for leaks from the master cylinder. Mushy pedal--sounds like air in the line somewhere.Could be a faulty master cylinder.

demon

Reaction score
pick up a modulator at auto zone. if it goes bad, trans fluid gets into the motor and you will lose vacuum (brake power). It will smoke pretty bad if it goes on you

andre

Reaction score
you can do this to help pinpoint problem

get rag and long noise vise grip

grip brake flex hose whit vise grip need 3 pair to do this but not to hard

if brake pedal high

problem wheel cyl caliper shoe ajustement

you can remove vise grip 1 at the time see where padal get verry low

if pedal still low w 3 flex hose block whit vise grip on

then preportion valve. master or brake line

bad booster usaly as no power asis hard pedal no braking power

hope this help you out

69bronc347

Reaction score
sounds like everything is working good except the brake hardware, 1400 psi is more than enough to lock up the tires. which the rears should lock up if you stomp on it hard. do they? sounds like either the caliper pistons are siezed, low quality brake pads that dont grab the rotors, or the rotors are severly glazed and over heated. happened to me last week at work, did a brake job, resurfaced the rotors then put on a set of advanced autoparts pads on went and drove it, and the sun of a gun wouldnt stop, the rears would lock up and abs would take over, the front hydraulics were working because the rotors were turning blue,but the pads wouldnt grab the rotors, put a good set of pads on, and replaced the rotors and it stoped on a dime, imagine what quality parts do, front brakes do 70% of the braking

Seabronc

Reaction score
I have a 78 Bronco custom, 400, C-6, 205, D-44 fr., 9" rr. stock discs on front, stock drums on back. Here is my problem: I have replaced the master cylinder, power booster, calipers, rotors, pads, drums, shoes, hardware, wheel cylinders, proportioning valve, and all lines. I have gravity bled, pedal bled, vavuum bled and pressure bled. I can't find any leeks or air. I bought an SSBC line pressure guage kit and am getting 1400# on front and 600# on rear.

With all this work I still can't get the front to lock up and the pedal still feels mushy. I almost forgot....I have also adjusted the plunger on the booster to factory spec. Then took it out to the point of pressure build-up (not releasing pressure) then backed it off a hair. The only difference I felt was the pedal started activating the system sooner, but no change in feel. The brakes work....but not near good enough to put it back on the road.

Any ideas would be appreciated! I've never had this problem with any other vehicle!
Since you seem to have replaced everything and have mushy brakes, the problem is almost 99% sure to be air in the system.

Here is the proper procedure for bleeding the system. If you didn't follow it, then you will still have air in the system.

1. Bench bleed the master cylinder. It requires plugs in the brake line connections and a little caution so you don't spray brake fluid all over the place. I use a rubber glove and hold it around the front reservoir to keep the fluid inside.

A. Mount the Master cylinder in a vise.

B. Fill the reservoirs to about a 1/2 inch from the top, one at a time.

C. Wait til some fluid starts to drip from brake line connection for the reservoir just filled, then install a plug, (I use the old connector with a small piece of the pipe flattened and folded over).

D. Repeat the process for the rear reservoir. This provides lub for the piston.

E. Using a blunt tool press the piston all the way in and hold for a couple of seconds. (This part takes a while, (if you press too fast you will spray fluid from the front reservoir).

F. Repeat this process until you can no longer get bubbles in the rear reservoir. (wait 5 to 15 seconds between each press on the piston so you don't aerate the fluid)

G. You should end up only being able to press the piston in about 1/8 of an inch.

H. Again make sure not even one bubble comes out when you press the piston or it is not properly bleed.

2. After installing the Master Cylinder on the booster and all the lines are hooked up to the brakes and proportioning valve, remove one plug at a time and hook the lines to the master cylinder.

3. Bleed the brake lines one at a time starting with the rear right, then rear left, front right and finally front left. (I use a one man bleeder bottle system to reduce the amount of fluid wasted, and also it will not draw air back into the system, only the fluid in the bottle. I find it still helps if someone presses the brake peddle while I watch to make sure that absolutely no more air is in that line. Even after it appears that there is no more air, I still go through a couple more presses to make sure. As the bottle fills I return it to the reservoir that is supplying the fluid, that is a personal choice since the fluid is new and clean, you may want to only fill it from the new can). If I were bleeding old lines that contain old fluid. I would not return it to the Master cylinder.

Good luck,

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
As far as lockup of the brakes, that is pretty hard to get with a full size Bronco. Brakes are definitely a weak point in the trucks design. That is why some people do the rear disc conversion and some do the Hydro boost system or both. I'm seriously thinking about doing the rear disc conversion myself.

However, I don't think I wouldn't want the brakes to totally lock up as the truck tends to put the rear end in front of you when braking on real slippery surfaces. I have found it hard to keep the rear brakes properly adjusted and if they are not the rear wants to keep going when the front is trying to stop. In real slippery conditions like snow, I keep the 4x4 on which takes care of that issue. I'm use to it, but that is mainly why I'm thinking about the rear discs.

Good luck,

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wdtdls