Need advice on 4bbl intake and carb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Al Mc

Reaction score
I just bought a 79 Bronco. It has the original 351M including all emissions stuff. I want to convert to a 4 bbl intake and carb. I'm not much of a mechanic, so I need advice. I will have thee work done for me but need to know what to buy. How much of the original "stuff" will be maintained, air cleaner, etc? I have been reading up on Edelbrock intake's. EGR or Non EGR, which do I need. Which is the best one to buy, 400,2171, etc? Also, need recommendations on what carb to buy to matach up with the intake. I fouond a ussed (been sitting up for 18 months Edelbrock Performer Model 289 and Edelbrock carb 1183 or 8869, not sure of the number. Is 225 a good price for the pair? If you have one for sale or know of a good buy, please let me know. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. My email is [email protected].

thanks Al

Red Green Jr

Reaction score
225 is a great price for both a 4bbl and an intake, if they are in good condition. When I upgraded my intake I found a used but completely refurbished edelbrock performer 400 intake for $100. I also bought a brand new edelbrock 1405 4bbl carb for about $250. Its a really good combo, I like it a lot. It was kinda a hassle to instal it myself, there are a few custom adjustments needed but its not too bad, especially if you have someone do it for you. Thats about all I know, I couldnt tell ya about any Holley combinations, but ive heard good things about them. The final decision is up to you, it depends what you are using your truck for, your price range, etc.

cantbecaught4

Reaction score
I will be puting a new 400 in my 78 in 3 weeks. I have decided to get a holley 600 and edelbrock performer 400 intake. the most important thing with the carb is that it has the Ford kickdown and vacuum secondary.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23