My lady or my Bronco? But I love my Bronco!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ROBBIEJ125

ROBBIEJ125

Reaction score
So I had some questions for anyone that is educated on the electrical system in these trucks because im ready to replace everything, i have a short somewhere and having my patience wear thin

OP
OP
ROBBIEJ125

ROBBIEJ125

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply but ill show you the nightmare of i haven't already
Anyway I found an old relay from an alarm system that some hack installed
Ripped out that ane remote start module
Everything works but my parking lights
The second I pull that switch fuse in 4th spot 15amp pops right away
Couldn't find a short so im thinking the switch

Attachments

• 20200828_103749.jpg
    20200828_103749.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 21

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Robbie,
Some info for you;
Switch Fires, Part Number SW-2103: "...Over the past two years, this office has experienced fires caused by another potential problem in Ford vehicles. The problem exists within the dimmer portion of the headlight switch in Ford vehicles. The light switch involved is a Model SW-2103. These are the pull out type headlight switches usually located in the lower left corner of the front dash of Ford vehicles. The headlight portion of the switch has two pullout positions, the first for parking lights only, and fully out for headlights and parking lights. The shaft of this pull-out light switch can be turned clockwise and counterclockwise which activates a dimmer switch, lowering and raising the intensity of the lighting in the instrument panels respectively. Fully rotating the shaft counterclockwise past a notch activates the interior lights within the vehicles. The potential problem exists within the dimmer portion of this switch. The dimmer mechanism consists of a metallic resistive coil set inside a ceramic disc positioned over the shaft of the switch. The coil is exposed on its front side away from the passenger compartment. The front side of the coil passes across a contact permitting a current to flow through a certain portion of the coil when the switch is pulled our in its first or second positions. The greater amount of coil through which the current is permitted to pass (clockwise most position) creates the greatest resistance and therefore dims the dash lighting to its lowest intensity. The opposite position provides greatest intensity. Through our investigations, we have found that the coil can fail owing to wear and/or possible material defects or damage. A fractured coil can maneuver itself free of the ceramic disc permitting it to come in contact with the metal bracket which mounts and grounds the switch to the vehicle. When this occurs, a current can flow through a portion of the coil creating high temperatures melting the metal material of the coil and possibly igniting surrounding combustibles. This mechanism has been observed in three separate incidents by this office. Two of these resulted in a fire. The mechanism is precipitated by wear and/or defect in the coil mechanism. If the former is true, we expect there will be an increase in fires caused through this mechanism given an increase in service time. To this date the problem appears to be somewhat limited. However, this particular light switch has been utilized in numerous Ford vehicles. Therefore, a small increase in failure rate owing to age and wear could result in a significant increase in fire losses.

The SW-2103 Light Switch Assembly discussed above is reportedly installed in the following Ford vehicles: 1986 -1997 F100, F150, F300; 1990-1994 Explorer; 1987-1994 Ranger; 1987-1990 Bronco II; 1992-1997 Aerostar..."

➡️ Miesk5 NOTE: No Bronco Listed, but this may be the result of typos or incomplete research by the company.
Source: by waltersforensic.com

Many big BRONCO, F series, etc owner have found this issue as well as tge switch connector and wiring to be burnt.

k18730d.gifk24986a.gif

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Mike I know of 4 --3 Ford and 1 Buick .Where the light switchs can go bad .White they are parked for awhile. One night taking the Buick out of storeage--during a heavy snow. I was going home and the big flakes started coming down to see better. I dimmed my lights and had none. Its taught me to put a new switch in after that. Plus they can cause alot of problems and they don,t cost that much.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Mike I know of 4 --3 Ford and 1 Buick .Where the light switchs can go bad .White they are parked for awhile. One night taking the Buick out of storeage--during a heavy snow. I was going home and the big flakes started coming down to see better. I dimmed my lights and had none. Its taught me to put a new switch in after that. Plus they can cause alot of problems and they don,t cost that much.
Yo Johnny,
Right on!
Some Bronco owners' garages burned down and worse, if garage is attached or is under home.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Yo Johnny,
Right on!
Some Bronco owners' garages burned down and worse, if garage is attached or is under home.
Well mine was close to the house and about 4 other vehicles. I fought like heck to keep the fire from spread and got it out. Don,t want to go through that again.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Yo Robbie,
Some info for you;
Switch Fires, Part Number SW-2103: "...Over the past two years, this office has experienced fires caused by another potential problem in Ford vehicles. The problem exists within the dimmer portion of the headlight switch in Ford vehicles. The light switch involved is a Model SW-2103. These are the pull out type headlight switches usually located in the lower left corner of the front dash of Ford vehicles. The headlight portion of the switch has two pullout positions, the first for parking lights only, and fully out for headlights and parking lights. The shaft of this pull-out light switch can be turned clockwise and counterclockwise which activates a dimmer switch, lowering and raising the intensity of the lighting in the instrument panels respectively. Fully rotating the shaft counterclockwise past a notch activates the interior lights within the vehicles. The potential problem exists within the dimmer portion of this switch. The dimmer mechanism consists of a metallic resistive coil set inside a ceramic disc positioned over the shaft of the switch. The coil is exposed on its front side away from the passenger compartment. The front side of the coil passes across a contact permitting a current to flow through a certain portion of the coil when the switch is pulled our in its first or second positions. The greater amount of coil through which the current is permitted to pass (clockwise most position) creates the greatest resistance and therefore dims the dash lighting to its lowest intensity. The opposite position provides greatest intensity. Through our investigations, we have found that the coil can fail owing to wear and/or possible material defects or damage. A fractured coil can maneuver itself free of the ceramic disc permitting it to come in contact with the metal bracket which mounts and grounds the switch to the vehicle. When this occurs, a current can flow through a portion of the coil creating high temperatures melting the metal material of the coil and possibly igniting surrounding combustibles. This mechanism has been observed in three separate incidents by this office. Two of these resulted in a fire. The mechanism is precipitated by wear and/or defect in the coil mechanism. If the former is true, we expect there will be an increase in fires caused through this mechanism given an increase in service time. To this date the problem appears to be somewhat limited. However, this particular light switch has been utilized in numerous Ford vehicles. Therefore, a small increase in failure rate owing to age and wear could result in a significant increase in fire losses.
The SW-2103 Light Switch Assembly discussed above is reportedly installed in the following Ford vehicles: 1986 -1997 F100, F150, F300; 1990-1994 Explorer; 1987-1994 Ranger; 1987-1990 Bronco II; 1992-1997 Aerostar..."
➡️ Miesk5 NOTE: No Bronco Listed, but this may be the result of typos or incomplete research by the company.

Many big BRONCO, F series, etc owner have found this issue as well as tge switch connector and wiring to be burnt.

View attachment 21794View attachment 21795
Thank s for the information Mike. I just might do away with that light switch and make a light panel section.To go below the dash. Thanks alot. I appreciate it alot.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Yo Robbie,
Some info for you;

View attachment 21794View attachment 21795
So with age---no matter what make , model or year(anything say past 10 years old) should have the switch replaced with a new one. Plus all the wiring--especially where it connect.Should be checked really good.

Jimbo26

Reaction score
What somebody once said about 't its, tires & trouble'.
I've found after many years (& 2 trips thru the Big D) that vehicles can be ironed out in time and they don't Continually b !tch back at ya either.
Then theres the ownership papers....😏
Welcome to the Zone.

paul rondelli

Reaction score
Marriages come and go ... but Bronco ownership is a real commitment.

Just make sure you sign an agreement that the Bronco Custody stays with you ..... crazy chicks only see dollar signs.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Sounds good to me too. Thanks Mike
If that doesn,t fix it. If you have a tilt steering wheel. Check it too. Moving the wheel all the time can cause a wire to move and get pinched inside. I had it happen to me--at the TOP of the column section.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke