My 78

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
NotaVegetarian

NotaVegetarian

Reaction score
Oh yea it’s been in the shop two months. All I got done is the steering wheel off, unscrewed the current switch, unplugged it, tagged the wires, unclipped them from the plug, taped them together and pulled it free. That’s about all my back would take.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Oh yea it’s been in the shop two months. All I got done is the steering wheel off, unscrewed the current switch, unplugged it, tagged the wires, unclipped them from the plug, taped them together and pulled it free. That’s about all my back would take.
Well just take it easy. I have to call back the parts store tomorrow and see if they have the oil pump shaft for the bronco and water pump and valve cover gaskets for the Regal tomorrow.

OP
OP
NotaVegetarian

NotaVegetarian

Reaction score
Is the bumper out enough to stand on. To work on it? Looks real strong and good.
Oh yea that bumper is 5” pipe with a cactus buster from 5” pipe it’s tough covered in bedliner. The grandkids love it it makes it easy to climb on

ablediver

Reaction score
Hey Notta,

Seen that wiring job in a few of my old rides.Not pretty and not fun. I see that you've got a replacement harness. If so, and it works, great. If not, the folks over at JEG's have this one available:

As far as the respirators go, check for a respirator specified for particulate matter, i.e.dust, shavings, etc.Any respirator you consider should be NIOSH certified . That's National Institute for Occupational Safety & Health. Looks like you've made the right choice with replaceable cartridges. Get a bunch of them, and replace them like socks and jocks. You only have two lungs and particulate matter can enter into your bloodstream. If you have a body shop supply house near you, they'd be a good source for the proper respirators.

The job you're doing on the interior of your '78, I've done on the undercarriage of my last four(4) trucks and it's a nasty job. I don't envy you brother, but it's all worth it in the end.

Ablediver out

Jimbo26

Reaction score
Brought a 78 home a couple months back. Finally got started on making it they way I want it. Pretty straight little rust in the usual places. First find was the blinkers didn’t work. So with a little digging there were more issues. Found some burned wires, some melted clumps, some ground wires that were hot, some hots that were tied to grounds some connectors connected to nothing. It was a mess.

Here are a few pictures of what I was finding.View attachment 22104View attachment 22105View attachment 22106View attachment 22107

Attachments

• snakes.jpg
    snakes.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 5

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Hey Notta,

Seen that wiring job in a few of my old rides.Not pretty and not fun. I see that you've got a replacement harness. If so, and it works, great. If not, the folks over at JEG's have this one available:

As far as the respirators go, check for a respirator specified for particulate matter, i.e.dust, shavings, etc.Any respirator you consider should be NIOSH certified . That's National Institute for Occupational Safety & Health. Looks like you've made the right choice with replaceable cartridges. Get a bunch of them, and replace them like socks and jocks. You only have two lungs and particulate matter can enter into your bloodstream. If you have a body shop supply house near you, they'd be a good source for the proper respirators.

The job you're doing on the interior of your '78, I've done on the undercarriage of my last four(4) trucks and it's a nasty job. I don't envy you brother, but it's all worth it in the end.

Ablediver out
Also it would help if you have a fan blowing any fumes or dust away from you. It does not take much rust or dirt to mess up your throat or lungs--so try and take a little extra caution. for everyones sake.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Full NBC gear- mopp4
I used to work in this factory and I,d have to buff parts from --8-12 hours . With the standard respirator and had problems with it. Its was UNION---STEEL WORKERS and they never raised concern---bough off. I tried to get them to get a suit like this--it was about $500 then--about 1991. Finally we went on strike after the contract was up and the guy who wouldn,t buy the suit for me---they put him in the buffing booth and he complained and cryed and when we went back. I asked him about it and asked him how did he like the feeling of working for a living -WIMP. HAHAHA. This would be nice and a good thing to check out. I heard they had their own air supply too.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I used to work in this factory and I,d have to buff parts from --8-12 hours . With the standard respirator and had problems with it. Its was UNION---STEEL WORKERS and they never raised concern---bough off. I tried to get them to get a suit like this--it was about $500 then--about 1991. Finally we went on strike after the contract was up and the guy who wouldn,t buy the suit for me---they put him in the buffing booth and he complained and cryed and when we went back. I asked him about it and asked him how did he like the feeling of working for a living -WIMP. HAHAHA. This would be nice and a good thing to check out. I heard they had their own air supply too.
When you see someone on oxygen and having a hard time breathing. Take it as a warning and use all the safety you can. You have to lookout for your own safety ---no one else will and no amount of money is worth risking you health or life for.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane