Main or main bearing or something else

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gary202

Reaction score
Hi all, been member for awhile and have learned alot from everone, wish I'd run across this site sooner. I have an 89' full size Bronco with a 302 Eddie Bauer. It's a 4 speed manal. My issue is the oil pressure guage fluctuates rapidly. Replaced oil pressure sensor twice to no avail. It runs great, no knocking or unusual sounds. My thought is that it has a spun off or main bearing. Any ideas? Thanks

OP
OP
G

Gary202

Reaction score
Hi all, been member for awhile and have learned alot from everone, wish I'd run across this site sooner. I have an 89' full size Bronco with a 302 Eddie Bauer. It's a 4 speed manal. My issue is the oil pressure guage fluctuates rapidly. Replaced oil pressure sensor twice to no avail. It runs great, no knocking or unusual sounds. My thought is that it has a spun off or main bearing. Any ideas? Thanks
I meant to say rod or main bearing...

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Get a cheap manual gauge and verify pressure.

I believe the factory gauge is more of a switch. Not sure where this one is set but they used to be like 3PSI, if that was the case then your oil pressure is hovering around 3 PSI.

Low oil pressure does not always mean a spun bearing. Lots of reasons for excessive wear on bearings.

It can most likely be repaired by replacing the rod and main bearings. They are the primary control when it comes to oil pressure. Not easy, but can be done in the truck.

If you end up pulling the engine out, Reman crankshafts are fairly inexpensive and decent way to go.

Either way you need to verify pressure. If pressure is indeed that low, then need to get the pan off and inspect bearings. You can use plastigauge to check clearences.

OP
OP
G

Gary202

Reaction score
Thanks for info- I'll get a gauge and check it.

Motech

Reaction score
I don't recall the exact year, but 89 is very close to when they switched over from a sender to a switch. On trucks equipped with a sender, the gauge will read actual pressure whereas trucks with a switch, the gauge will only read about halfway and never move off of that.

That said, it's very possible you have a real gauge in there that requires a sender, and you've installed a switch instead. Check and see if there is a different part number for an 87 or 88 model year, and if so, grab that one and install it.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Gary,
Welcome to our Bronco site!
Gauge Fluctuates Rapidly; "Corrosion or faulty electrical connections; Related Components to Check; all appropriate electrical connections to and from the sender or SWITCH; ..."
by MOTORCRAFT® for various years.

⊙As TIHA ADVISED "factory gauge is more of a switch".

This incudes possible Corrosion in a Connector or at the SWITCH; or loose or damaged wire issues, etc.:
Switch at engine block
C208 B instrument cluster connector
and along path in harness:
C100 through dash on driver's side
(C129 is for Diesel engines only)

Screenshot_20220224-083130_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Screenshot_20220224-083324_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Screenshot_20220224-085635_Drive.jpg

■■■
Consider a Real Oil Pressure Gauge
Source: by Sixlitre (Malcolm H, Eddie Bauer) at FSB
wmimg_0014.jpg
☆☆☆

●Here is the 1989 Ford Bronco EVTM via my former shipmate, mrnewland1 and recovered by my friend Jason in Google Drive @

1989 Bronco & Ford Truck Emission & Pre-Delivety Manuals @ 1989 Ford Service Manuals - Google Drive

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf found by member BroncMom

1989 Ford Bronco Dealer Brochure

1989 Bronco Lubricant Specifications by Ford via Gary

Attachments

• wmimg_0014.jpg
    wmimg_0014.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 1

Motech

Reaction score
Personally and professionally, I prefer an electric gauge. Nothing seems messier to me than a split nylon tube spewing hot engine oil under 20 to 80 psi all over my truck interior, me, or maybe my wife!

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I meant to say rod or main bearing...
Well if it RUNS GREAT-ITS NOT A ROD OR MAIN BEARING
Personally and professionally, I prefer an electric gauge. Nothing seems messier to me than a split nylon tube spewing hot engine oil under 20 to 80 psi all over my truck interior, me, or maybe my wife!
Get copper tubeing
. Check the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge.Its if read the same as the electric gauge-check to oil pump for scars, Check for leaks. If it had a bad rod or main--its not gonna run great or too long.

Motech

Reaction score
Get copper tubeing
No thanks. I've replaced a couple of cut-rate aftermarket gauges for leaking, and even the trusted brands like AutoMeter or Sun (Sun still around even?) are outsourced to China now. I'll take electric every time.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Well if it RUNS GREAT-ITS NOT A ROD OR MAIN BEARING

Get copper tubeing
. Check the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge.Its if read the same as the electric gauge-check to oil pump for scars, Check for leaks. If it had a bad rod or main--its not gonna run great or too long.
Plus it could be a piece of dirt in the line. If its a mechanical gauge.
No thanks. I've replaced a couple of cut-rate aftermarket gauges for leaking, and even the trusted brands like AutoMeter or Sun (Sun still around even?) are outsourced to China now. I'll take electric every time.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Most stuff is made in China,but some is made in America . I,ve never had any trouble with mechanical oil line leaking. If you use sealer tap. Plus tighten the fitting down after it warms. Electric gauges are made in China too. but look around and you can find made in America or sometimes hit yard sales and you might find a old gauge made in America--still in the package.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo