Looking to buy.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoelS

Reaction score
Hi, I am looking to buy a 90-96 Bronco. It will be an around the town driver for my Son and a project for us to work on. I am trying to decide between 3 right now. Please offer any thoughts or suggestions in regards to any issues with the years and packages I am looking at. Here are the details. Prices mostly the same except a bit higher for the 96. Thank you for your help!

1990 Eddie Bauer stock - 140K miles - 302 V8 - looks to be really clean except for little rust on pinstripe and bottom of tailgate. - manual transfer case. Has failing clear coat on horizontal surfaces.

1995 XLT mostly stock -130K - 302 V8 - new transmission recently - has aftermarket front bumper, no spare tire rack. manual transfer case.

1996 XLT stock - 204K - 351 V8 looks to be really clean and well cared for- push button 4x4 - rust on drip rails - has a ticking noise near passenger side exhaust manifold that goes away after warm up. Has failing clear coat on horizontal surfaces. Unless he takes less, this one will be out of our price range.

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
My vote would be the 1990 but would need to see photos.

pappy19

Reaction score
Hi, I am looking to buy a 90-96 Bronco. It will be an around the town driver for my Son and a project for us to work on. I am trying to decide between 3 right now. Please offer any thoughts or suggestions in regards to any issues with the years and packages I am looking at. Here are the details. Prices mostly the same except a bit higher for the 96. Thank you for your help!

1990 Eddie Bauer stock - 140K miles - 302 V8 - looks to be really clean except for little rust on pinstripe and bottom of tailgate. - manual transfer case. Has failing clear coat on horizontal surfaces.

1995 XLT mostly stock -130K - 302 V8 - new transmission recently - has aftermarket front bumper, no spare tire rack. manual transfer case.

1996 XLT stock - 204K - 351 V8 looks to be really clean and well cared for- push button 4x4 - rust on drip rails - has a ticking noise near passenger side exhaust manifold that goes away after warm up. Has failing clear coat on horizontal surfaces. Unless he takes less, this one will be out of our price range.
The 95 would be my choice, although if the 96 was negotiated, might be better. Do both have automatic hubs? If so, that's the first thing I would change, Warn hubs.

chrlsful

Reaction score
'96 w/efi 4.9L as its a good off rd tqer. That motor they call 'the gasser that's a diesel." Last yr they made it. i6 hasa tq curve way low in the RPM so I believe (not alone in this) less likely to spin tires in the dirt...ora '78/9 for that great 'hiboy' look?

ragtop69

Reaction score
I bought my second Bronco about two and a half years ago. It was a '95 XLT with 170K miles on the clock. My first one was an '83 XLT which I bought from Ford. My suggestions would be to stick to the 92-96 Broncos because they have six digit electronic odometers which will show true mileage. If you can afford it buy a '96 because it has a modern on board computer like everything built since. I wish I had known that when I bought my '95, but it might not have changed my decision in any event. The rust on the bottom of the tailgate (my '83 eventually had the same problem) is because of a failed gasket on the tailgate window. All the water that got past the gasket rotted out the bottom of the tailgate. If it is too bad you might have to replace the tailgate. The failing clear coat on the '90 and the '96 might also cause me to eliminate them. The only remedy is a complete new paint job. My '83s clear coat failed and that was the eventual solution. Paint jobs ain't cheap.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke