Locker Options/problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
My El Camino has "Posi" only & it swaps ends (nearly) on slippery surfaces.

I'm sure a "Detroit" or other perm. locker will break loose (on ice, etc.) on my '66 Bronco, being so short a wheel-base.

There's "air, & electric" lockers....? (I'm looking at just the rear at this time.) (it now has "Posi" but I think it's getting weak.)

I live in the Las Vegas desert area & rarely see snow or ice, BUT, I go north fr. time to time.

What are the latest recommendations for our Broncos? Are you getting any "white knuckle" days with your lockers...?

We hwy. drive to the dirt/play trails.

Stock drive train, D30 front, 9" rear with 456 gears & Goodrich 32's

3-early Broncos

1- " Land Cruiser

Having way to much fun !!

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
Yeah, lockers will get you sideways pretty quick on slick surfaces but thats usually when lots of gas is applied. Its all fun and games once you know how to control it.

Posi with larger tires tend not to do well. In your case a selectable locker is the way to go. When you need the traction its available.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Well in your case, if you want lockers, I'd go for a mechanical or air locker that can be enabled or totally disabled from the driver location.

Good luck,

:)>-

upnorth

Reaction score
I have a Detriot locker in the rear of my 71 with 35's and it's fine on ice when the front axle isn't engaged. As soon as I engage my front with the Detriot tru-trac I might as well drive straight into the ditch and cruise in it. The rear locker is a great addition 90% of the time in the bad weather though, as long as you keep off the stupid pedal a little more than usual.

Bandit

BANDIT
Reaction score
My El Camino has "Posi" only & it swaps ends (nearly) on slippery surfaces.I'm sure a "Detroit" or other perm. locker will break loose (on ice, etc.) on my '66 Bronco, being so short a wheel-base.

There's "air, & electric" lockers....? (I'm looking at just the rear at this time.) (it now has "Posi" but I think it's getting weak.)

I live in the Las Vegas desert area & rarely see snow or ice, BUT, I go north fr. time to time.

What are the latest recommendations for our Broncos? Are you getting any "white knuckle" days with your lockers...?

3-early Broncos

1-  "    Land Cruiser

15226[/snapback]

Bandit

BANDIT
Reaction score
My El Camino has "Posi" only & it swaps ends (nearly) on slippery surfaces.I'm sure a "Detroit" or other perm. locker will break loose (on ice, etc.) on my '66 Bronco, being so short a wheel-base.

3-early Broncos

1-  "    Land Cruiser

15226[/snapback]

I have a detroit in the rear of my 73,I bought it from Ken,the manager of K bar S,before they went under.Im in wyoming,Im in snow and black ice ,and melting ice constantly.If you hit the throttle hard,you will actually slide sideways.If youre easy n the throttle,its not so bad.by the way I bought that rearend as an open diff 77,go figure

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
If you need more traction on ice have your tires sipped at a tire shop. I did this and can't believe the extra traction on all surfaces. I run Detroit lockers front and rear and I don't seem to get that sizeways unless I hit the gas and turn the steering all over. When the steering is turned tight and you hit the gas the front end will want to drive sideways. Its all a learning curve. Try lowering the air pressure too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23