Need Advice: Front Locker Yes/No?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oh2bedrunk

Reaction score
I'm in the process of re-gearing my 1993 Bronco XLT. I am doing 4.56 gears and installing a Yukon Grizzly Locker in the rear.

I'm running 35s on a 6" SuperLift. Here are my questions:

1. Should I just get a front locker installed since they will be working on it anyway?

2. Are there issues with running an auto-locker up front? This is not a daily driver, but I will have to drive it to run it. I cannot trailer this thing!

3. Should I run an air (select) locker up front for ease of operation on the highway?

4. Should I just go with plan A and only run a rear locker?

All comments and suggestions are welcome! What do you guys run and why? And I don't consider negativity "Trolling;" however, stupidity should be avoided at all costs -- please?

Moderator, feel free to move me to a previous thread. I couldn't find one, but I didn't look really hard!

Thanks,

From Orange County, CA.

I run the thing out in the El Paso Mountains, Mojave Desert, and Death Valley.

5.jpg

4.jpg

Seabronc

Reaction score
Definitely not for use in highway driving, they can throw your truck totally out of control.   You may have a use for them in serious Off Roading.  Just keep in mind that they are made for strait forward driving since they lock your wheels together.  I have never had a set so someone with actual operational experience may want to weigh in on the subject.

:)>-   

I'd just say that it is up to you and how serious your Off Roading is going to be.  I wouldn't use either front or back on the highway.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
oh2bedrunk

oh2bedrunk

Reaction score
Thank you everyone!

I'm going with a Eaton E-Locker in the rear and I'm going to leave the front end alone until I decide to do a Solid Axle Swap.

The URLs helped a lot!

DT

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
From Orange County, CA.

"I run the thing out in the El Paso Mountains, Mojave Desert, and Death Valley."

Like Seabronc said.., usage is the deciding factor.

I have run (+-15 yrs) the same areas (above) with open front & "posi" in the rear & haven't got stuck or broke yet.

---- Of course, this does not include "boulder hopp'n" / "rocker panel crush'n" ----

If I don't go up, over, or down some area.., the other rigs won't even try. (but again, we all still have our fenders, etc.)

From Orange county to these above areas ...... there's a lot of highway. 

The worst being the Cajon Pass.  This is like an "E" ticket at Disneyland..!  Especially if wet/snow/ice.

I survived a 70 car pile-up by tucking the Bronco in behind an 18 wheeler (far right lane), going

down the Cajon in a snowy-foggy white-out.

---------  "Off/on" locker will help in these cases. -----------

I too, thought about TAD's (traction adding devices) but as yet, haven't found the need.

Nor have I used a winch. (Had a couple on the Land Cruisers.)

IMHO.., I'd run what you got until you find it's not doing the job on your type of trails. :-B   >:D< <'>

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gryph