Lack of Power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rednek

Reaction score
today i tried going up ramps into my gooseneck trailer. it was about a 45

Last edited by a moderator:

Redneck86

First On Race Day
Reaction score
Have you swapped out your differential gears for those big tires? If not thats were most of your power loss is comin from, a tune will help but youll still be bogged with stock gear ratios. A torque converter can help if you get the right one. But swappin in some lower gears will help alot, 4.10s if you drive it on the street alot.

OP
OP
R

Rednek

Reaction score
Yes i have thought of that fellow redneck. err. How much do you think that will be? not much right? this is my first set of wheels. heh just got a few weeks ago.

redneck86 you have true duall exhaust? ive got ****** headers and chamber. duall cowboycut flowmasters. its not true duall though. i cant seem to find a true duall exhaust system for full size broncos.?

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Redneck86, He posted in another thread that his truck bogged down (went down to 400 RPM) when he tried to turn his steering wheel.

Rednek,

How was your truck running before you put those tires on?

With 37s you are going to want to change gears, and if you want to take her out and play, you will want to swap axles (I am not the one to give you advice on that).

You need to pull codes! Do you know how to pull diagnostic troubleshooting codes? If not I can send info.

OP
OP
R

Rednek

Reaction score
I really dont know. I got it on friday from a guy in san antonio. and i have no clue what "pull codes" are. tell me>?

Apparently it ran good before the tires. Its been sitting for over a year he says. So i just think it needs a tune up and a diff job?

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
I really dont know. I got it on friday from a guy in san antonio. and i have no clue what "pull codes" are. tell me>?Apparently it ran good before the tires. Its been sitting for over a year he says. So i just think it needs a tune up and a diff job?
Could you make that pic in your sig smaller most don't include pics?

I have to scroll side to side to read your posts.

I found a great article on how to test for codes.

http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/files/self_test.pdf

This will be of particular interest to those with 1984 through 1988 models, but is also excellent for those up to the 1995 models.

With an '89 and newer the only tool one needs is a short jumper wire.

With an '84 - '88 the only tools one will need to check for codes is a short jumper wire, and a cheap volt meter.

Here are the connectors that you will find by the driver's wheel well, that you will jump with the jumper.

JumperWire.jpgSelfTestConnector3.jpg

SelfTestConnector4.jpg

Redneck86

First On Race Day
Reaction score
Yes i have thought of that fellow redneck. err. How much do you think that will be? not much right? this is my first set of wheels. heh just got a few weeks ago.redneck86 you have true duall exhaust? ive got ****** headers and chamber. duall cowboycut flowmasters. its not true duall though. i cant seem to find a true duall exhaust system for full size broncos.?
Itll be about 450 for Ring and Pinion gears, that sayin you can do them yourself, youll have to call a shop to see what they want. And BroncoJoe is right, youll wanna see about swappin 3/4 ton axles under it if you wanna offroad alot.

And yea there true duals, I have ****** Competition headers and Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers, all 2-1/2". My headers are full length so i had to run around with them open for awhile. I took my truck to an exhuast shop and told them what i wanted, its also kicked out in front of the rear tires.

OP
OP
R

Rednek

Reaction score
yeah im kinda low on cash. so $450 for the gears so i get the power i want?????? is it bad to run stock gears with them 37" tires?

cj_92Bronco

Reaction score
yeah its too much work for those little things to spin around those 37"s. how much did you pay for your rig if i may ask

Redneck86

First On Race Day
Reaction score
You can run them like that if you want, but it also makes your engine work harder to accelerate, go up hills....pretty much everything. Youll get better milage runnin lower gears with those big tires then if your stick with the 3.55s, your engine wont have to run as hard to do everything.

bidibronco

Reaction score
Not to mention your speedo is WAY off with those tires. I would invest in some gears. If anything for the rear at the moment but do NOT put it in 4 with different gears. I think I'm correct on saying that some 250's and 350's run 4.10's stock and those are 3/4 and 1 ton axles too...

OP
OP
R

Rednek

Reaction score
Thank You for all the repies. I got the rig for $5100!!! as is. I hustled him down to $5100 from $6500. it has over 6k in accessories alone.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Not to mention your speedo is WAY off with those tires. I would invest in some gears. If anything for the rear at the moment but do NOT put it in 4 with different gears. I think I'm correct on saying that some 250's and 350's run 4.10's stock and those are 3/4 and 1 ton axles too...
Here is an excellent thread on regearing.

http://broncozone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12604

Bidi you contributed to this thread.

As Bidi stated above you may want to change the rear so that you get into the normal power ban of your engine, but with that you would be limited to 2 wheel Drive until you also do the front diff. If it is $450 just for the gears, I would definitly go to the ****** and get the whole rear, with heavier axles, full floating and all.

I beleive that you stated that your truck is weak and getting weaker. If that is true, you must consider that the gear ratio that you currently have does not change. IF there is a percieved continued loss/decrease of power then you have a an engine that is not running properly, and its problem is deteriorating. The easiest way to get started trouble shooting it is to pull codes.

You may also have a clogged fuel filter, that is progressivly getting more clogged. DId you change the gas in the tank after it had been sitting for a year, or at least fill her up? Have you burnt up all the old gas by now?

crazyhorse85

Reaction score
LIKE MOST HAVE SAID REGEARING IS YOUR BEST BET...I PUT 33X12.50R15 ON MY 85 RUNS GOOD...DON'T TAKE IT THE WRONG WAY THE 351W HAS THR TOURQE TO PULL IT BUT YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER THERE'S THE TRUCK WEIGHT THERE TOO AND THEY AINT LIGHT...I WENT FROM 3.55 GEAR TO 4.10 GEAR AND MADE A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE ON TAKE-OFF AND JUSY CRUISING AROUND TOWN....IF YOU HAVE TO DO LIKE THEY SAID DO ONE AT A TIME REAR FIRST...BUT YOU'LL BE DOWN TO TWO WHEELIN FOR AWHILE....BUT IT MIGHT SAVE TIME AND MONEY IN THE LONG RUN.... B) THAT'S JUST MY 2 CENTS WORTH GOODLUCK MAN.... :)>- BY THE WAY COOL RIDE....

muddinlate86

Reaction score
i know ive ask a thousend times but is ther any other symptoms ?is it missing,getting realy outragouse gas mil.?

zach351

Reaction score
ya joe ur right even with 37's u should still be able to go up that ramp with a 351 there HAS to be more problems than that. anything else happenin with ur truck?

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Ok, my apologies for jumping into this half-way thru but I've had other issues.

I never did actually see what you were running for rear gears and what the rear end code was. Ck the door sticker, that will tell you if you have an open diff or a limited slip. The limited slip is the preferred differential but it DOES require that you occasionally add a bottle of friction-modifier. Otherwise the clutches slip and you're back to the single-traction-toilet syndrome. A locker or at the *very* least a limited-slip is THE way to go

I got that you're running 37's and truth be told with tire like that you *should* have 4.56's front & rear. 4.11's will do in a pinch but they're FAR from optimum for that tire diameter. If you're actually trying to PULL something somewhere then you'd damn sure better have 4.56's and maybe be considering something closer to a 4.18. Do the math.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23