Just an Update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RBuffordTJ

Reaction score
I just wanted to share a few updates on my 1984 Bronco "Justice". I haven't posted anything about the old guy in a while so I figured it was time to show off his new shoes and what I found under the hood.

Now he stands a little different with the 33" 12.5 Mud Terrains and rock crawler steel wheels from Pro Comp...

med_gallery_4210_289_63374.jpg

I do like the way he stands now. I had to do a little fender trimming and will do more but that will be on the new fenders when they arrive. He is at stock height now, but I plan a 4" Skyjacker suspension lift so trimming my not be needed at that point.

gallery_4210_289_71979.jpg

Now the engine was another issue. The smog pump had to go, the broken compressor and associated brackets and hoses needed to get out of the way and my GOODNESS....who came up with all that vacuum stuff? Gosh, it is all gone in the next two pics except for what is needed. My Headman ceramic long tube headers are peeking out too. But now when I open the hood, I see...ENGINE!

gallery_4210_289_89356.jpg

gallery_4210_289_49594.jpg

The engine compartment is pretty ugly and that is going to be some of the next work. I have a cousin who is a mechanic and he is chomping at the bit for me to buy the new Edelbrock Performer intake manifold, the New Holly Carb, New cam for low end torc, and valves. I am also eyeballing a set of those aluminum valve covers that say "Bronco" on them over at Bronco Graveyard.

He just replaced the steering gear box for me because it was "leaking like a pig" through the bottom seal and had 3" or so in play either way from center. Too sloppy. The new one was $125.00 and is very responsive.

Once we take apart the upper portion of the engine to do those mods I will clean things up, throw a little paint around and try to make that engine look better. Anything is possible except chrome. [-X I ain't into chrome at all.

Well thats it for now but hopefully SOON, I will have more to share.

Rick in Orlando

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Looks good Rick.

I noticed you're up in Orlando. Maybe sometime you can head south for a trail day. I'm down here in Stuart w/Billy Toppless & BlackSheepBronco88'. We're working on getting BlackSheep's 88' running again & I have need some rubber for my 79' but once we get all of them sorted out a bit more we've been talking about running some trails. Maybe that's something you'd be interested in.

OP
OP
RBuffordTJ

RBuffordTJ

Reaction score
Looks good Rick.
I noticed you're up in Orlando. Maybe sometime you can head south for a trail day. I'm down here in Stuart w/Billy Toppless & BlackSheepBronco88'. We're working on getting BlackSheep's 88' running again & I have need some rubber for my 79' but once we get all of them sorted out a bit more we've been talking about running some trails. Maybe that's something you'd be interested in.
Sounds good man, I would love to find some good places to run around. Keep me posted and I will try to slip down to run some trails.

Rick in Orlando

ms_jetset

Redneck & The Bronco
Reaction score
Sounds good man, I would love to find some good places to run around. Keep me posted and I will try to slip down to run some trails.
Rick in Orlando
Looks great, much better! Can't wait to see what she looks like after the lift! Your Bronco's like a home,(while if you work at my pace) at least a ten year project! lol

OP
OP
RBuffordTJ

RBuffordTJ

Reaction score
Looks great, much better! Can't wait to see what she looks like after the lift! Your Bronco's like a home,(while if you work at my pace) at least a ten year project! lol
Yep, when I got him 3 years ago I figured he would be a 3 year project....well life happens and he ain't where he should be but thank God he ain't where he used to be!

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Thanks sfor the pics, takes me back a few years!!! I ran the Edelbrock performer intake on my 351W for a few years, with a Holley 4bbl carb. I also cleaned up alot of that 'spaghetti mess' of vacuum lines. Those are good-looking tires and rims, too!!! JSM84

OP
OP
RBuffordTJ

RBuffordTJ

Reaction score
Thanks man, I was so sick of looking at it and trying to carefully pull it out of the way to do ANYTHING! No problem anymore. As for the rims, I am not into the fancy stuff, I am a basic kind of guy, they are steel rock crawlers from Pro Comp with a shiny power coat. I really like them, they give a great depth to the tires and I wanted a wider footprint.

Did you see anything negative about that intake?

Rick

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Did you see anything negative about that intake?
Rick
It made a big difference over the stock one, as the Bronco would really get up and go once I had the carb tuned right. I gave up cruise control because there wsa only one vacuum port, and I couldn't find the right tee fitting. One of the major problems with that intake is the water passages for the back two cylinders. I found a mod that you can do to add plumbing wheree it crosses over the back to improve the flow (link is posted in the Tech articles forum). When I blew the motor in 2005, it was due to the intake manifold gassket leaking coolant into the rear cylinders on both sides, bending the piston rods. When I removed the intake, there was a bunch of crud in the water passages which possibly led to the gasket leaking. JSM84

OP
OP
RBuffordTJ

RBuffordTJ

Reaction score
It made a big difference over the stock one, as the Bronco would really get up and go once I had the carb tuned right. I gave up cruise control because there wsa only one vacuum port, and I couldn't find the right tee fitting. One of the major problems with that intake is the water passages for the back two cylinders. I found a mod that you can do to add plumbing wheree it crosses over the back to improve the flow (link is posted in the Tech articles forum). When I blew the motor in 2005, it was due to the intake manifold gassket leaking coolant into the rear cylinders on both sides, bending the piston rods. When I removed the intake, there was a bunch of crud in the water passages which possibly led to the gasket leaking. JSM84
Thanks man, I'm going to go check that out. I don't want to do something that will **** the engine.

Rick

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23