It Can Be Done

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bebop Man

Reaction score
In the course of camping last weekend, I manage to pop 2 tires. So the Mrs. was kind enough to untie the purse strings and let me get a full set of tires. My future plans included a 4" lift, 4.10 / 4.56 gears and 35" tires, with 33" as a temporary measure. Well, after a little bit of noodlin', I came up with a game plan to run the 35"s first.

Here's what I started with: 29's on stock rims, no lift.

gallery_9470_890_12959.jpg

After mounting on the 35" Wrangler MTR's:

BG5_sm.jpg

35" tires / stock rims. Not too much rub on the radius arms. This is as far as I can crank over the wheel before I start to rub. Not too shabby

I've been fighting rust around the wheel well since I got this Bronco, and I was tired of it. I decided long ago that my plan would be to cut it away, and that's just what I did:

BG_7.jpg

Compare this picture with the one previous. I've trimmed away the wheel wells to the first body line, made some relief cuts, then folded the metal back in, bending it at the 2nd body line. Using those tabs as mounting surfaces, I screwed some landscaping edging to make fender flares.

BG_8.jpg

Closeup of the rear passenger wheel well.

BG_6.jpg

Looking down the body, you can see how much coverage I have. Each wheel well took me about an hour with a side grinder, sawzall, and hammer to cut and shape the metal, prime the metal, then ***** in the lawn edging. 4 hrs + $20 of edging + $5 in primer + $5 in silicon caulking = good deal.

This is how I run 35" tires with no lift and very little rubbing. I'll be adding a lift in there at some point, but this will suit me for now. This is more of a camping rig then a ********* trail beater.

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Bebop Man,

Good $ saving flare work!

I recently installed patch panels and had a vg local 1/2 panel paint job that matched, but that cost $.

One person has used flares off of a 98 ford explorer sport 2 door with some mods.

So your job is the <$ one yet!

AdamDude04

Reaction score
Those are a damn good tire. Well, at least new on pavement.

I just ordered some in a 34x12.5x20 and at $190 a piece they are hard to beat. Just hope they break the "Good for one Year"...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23