Is it just too cold to start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBroker72

Reaction score
I just recently bought 1972 Bronco with a 5.0 Fuel Injected engine. I have tested the alternator and battery and they both are good but the engine still doesn't want to crank in the morning. I live in Chattanooga, TN and typically it isn't much colder than say mid to high 20's. Am I missing something? Why won't she crank up?

Is there anything I can do to solve this problem?

Any help is appreciated.

BBroker72

kschirman

Reaction score
What type of battery is in it? When you tested the battery was it when it was cold out or later in the day when it warmed up?

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi Broker., welcome...

Could you be more specific/more info...? :unsure:

"...still doesn't want to crank in the morning."

To some this (crank) means., spin, turn over, or just start, etc.

RU saying you turn the key & nothing moves..? RU using multi-grade oil.? RU parked indoors or out in the cold.?

I thought all folks in cold country used elect. eng. blankets & elect. dip-stick heaters.

Take the bat. in one night...if it works in the morn. then a cold weather bat. may be in order.

All (bat.) cables & connections need to be clean.

OP
OP
B

BBroker72

Reaction score
Thank you for the Welcome!

The Bronco has been outside and I have never heard of anyone in the South using eng. blankets or dip-stick heaters. When I say the Bronco won't crank, I mean it won't turn over. All of the cables and connections are free of any corrosion and are tightly secured. I think I will take the battery inside tonight and see how that works. After all it is a Wal-Mart battery!

Cheers,

Broker

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

as the battery temperature declines, so does the minimum voltage. This is due to the effect of temperature on most chemical reactions. The battery reaction is slower as the electrolyte becomes cooler..." read more & see

TEMPERATURE-BATTY VOLATAGE CHART @ http://www.bbbind.com/BatteryLoadTest.pdf

and Walmart has some pretty good rated batteries for a price much lower than the same batty slapped w/a different label at parts stores.

Review, Walmart Everstart Maxx 65N; 850 CCA, 1000 CA (manufactured by Johnson Controls) Source: by miesk5 at Ford Bronco Zone Forums

I purchased this battery un NOV 07 at WAL MART

(battery is not listed in their web site)

It is mfg. by Johnson Controls & produces this EXACT SAME battery (CCA, etc.) for many auto makers and retailers under different product names such as:

Motorcraft Silver BXT-65-850; ~$100.00 to $120.00 Plus $104.95 + tax, etc. at your local friendly Ford dealer

Sears Die Hard Gold 33065 $105. +

Auto Zone (Duralast Gold)

Eveready

Everstart

Interstate Mega-Tron Plus $104.95 + tax, etc.

Toyota (TrueStart)

Mitsubishi (Diamond Car Care)

Mazda

Advance Auto (Autocraft Titanium)

Costco (Kirkland Signature)

Pep Boys (ProStart & Energizer)

btw, Johnson also mfg. Optima brand

WAL MART - excellent price $61.00 w/ 7% sales tax and free installation. The warranty is 3yr free and 108 month pro-rata

CCA: 875 amps @ 0 degree F/ CA = 1090 amps @ 32� F; Reserve capacity: 165 mins

compare CCA etc to Optima YellowTop

CCA = 500 amps @ 0 degree F/ CA = 625 amps at 32� F; Reserve capacity: 70 minutes

If you still have a prob, take it for a free load test at parts store

GL!

OP
OP
B

BBroker72

Reaction score
Hey GL,

Thank you for the information! I will take it for a load test and see what the outcome is. You're right, the great thing about the Wal-Mart Battery is the 3-year warranty, which I might be taking them up on.

Thank you again,

BBroker72

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
"......colder than say mid to high 20's."

"I have never heard of anyone in the South using eng. blankets or dip-stick heaters"

20's...???

Sounds like some-o-that good ole "global warming" made it down there to me... :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:

Scodge

Reaction score
Buy an optima red top and a gear reduction starter. They have great gear reduction starters here: http://rjminjectiontech.com/collections/starters

If you don't find your rig listed, call them during the day and they can recommend the right one for your set up. I had starting problems with mine '67, but it was the starter/battery combo. Now it sounds lie a ferrari when I go to start it!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23