Interior Optional Trim - Options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WABronc

Reaction score
C421E53A-038F-4916-A468-EAA5C7FB49F1.jpeg
I’m just trying to understand what y’all do about these (in my case grey/black striped) trim pieces. I don’t like how they look faded as they are. The one on my dash that says Eddie Bauer is in great shape, but I’m not sure what to do about these.

Can I buy these anywhere? Should I do some sort of vinyl wrap on them? Remove and paint them? Suggestions welcome.

ablediver

Reaction score
View attachment 30234
I’m just trying to understand what y’all do about these (in my case grey/black striped) trim pieces. I don’t like how they look faded as they are. The one on my dash that says Eddie Bauer is in great shape, but I’m not sure what to do about these.

Can I buy these anywhere? Should I do some sort of vinyl wrap on them? Remove and paint them? Suggestions welcome.
I don't know, I've got your same interior ( Brown '96 EB). LMC doesn't show a replacement part for it, although it does look like a modular door panel. I'll look at that part of the door tomorrow. Here's LMC's Catalog URL:

Ablediver out

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
There is a couple people selling reconditioned or used parts. OBS interiors is one of them.

https://www.obsinteriors.com/

I have heard people complain about one of these companies doing this stuff, but I honestly do not know who or which one it was.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I like the seat conversion that they've done in the website.

Ablediver out
At one time they were spamming facebook pretty hard. They have done some really nice work.

paul rondelli

Reaction score
I like those a lot better than the ones I have in my 1996XL. The Xl don't have the nice storage pocket on the bottom.

My 1993 is a XLT and it has the lower storage pockets. I guess it was all about the trim package. You can keep all the bells and whistles of the XLT and EB packages.

My 1996 is a xl package and has manual roll up windows/ manual transmission/ manual locking hubs/ manual transfer case. All of which still works flawlessly

My 1993 has gone through two window motors/ the automatic hubs stopped working/ and the E4OD took a crap on me/ and the push button transfer case stopped working.

The more electronics you add ... the more chances of failure ... just add 25 years.

How many times have you ever heard of a side vent window not working? Even in a 40 year old Bronco .... most of the side vent windows still work as they should.

However I do like your side mirrors

goodO1boydws

Reaction score
There's a category of products specifically made for painting vinyl-and some can be used on carpeting too. Dupli Color, VHT, and SEM are probably the most common automotive-related retail brands. And KRYLON makes a FUSION formula for plastic too.

I've used the vinyl paint to repaint the dash PAD in my B2-a number of years ago and it shows no sign of deterioration. And MANY years ago on a '67 Mustang's faded dark green carpet.

The above referenced brands (and others) come in spray cans and are available in several different "main" colors, but grey is so common a color that there are several "grey" shades available (such as light grey/medium grey, dark grey, charcoal, pewter) among the different brands.
If there's a good auto parts store or better still a body and paint supply store near you, they are likely to at least one brand in stock.
Best bet to get the closest color match for your interior trim is to check them out in person.

If you're really good at masking and protecting against over spray, you may not even have to take those trim pieces off the door panels.

Your driver's and vent windows look very clear in that photo. Are they tinted at all?

OP
OP
W

WABronc

Reaction score
Correct I don't think the windows are tinted at all, so I think you're suggesting overspray would probably be easier to remove? Painting in place definitely sounds like the easiest option. Thanks for the brand / formula suggestions.

goodO1boydws

Reaction score
(Around Seattle I'd expect to see a lower % of darker window tinted vehicles than here.)

No, its not about the over spray.
If you're considering painting in place I'd be a lot more concerned about getting dark paint on any of the light-colored interior.

The reason I asked about the window tint is that, especially with clear glass, a good amount of UV gets through, and if uncovered, the doors, seats and some other parts of the interior will continue to fade. That's even if you use a windshield sun screen-which DOES protect the dash and close in area fairly well. But while sitting next to a side car window your face/neck/arm gets exposed to UV-if the window is open OR closed.

Since I started driving (many moons ago) every vehicle I've owned (with one exception) has had either zero side window tinting or an extremely light tint. For the last 20 years I've driven almost exclusively with a/c or heater on and windows closed, and always wear a wide brimmed hat when working outside. Yet in the last several years a dermatologist has frozen and also cut off a few spots of skin cancer-all on the left side of my face.

My B2 (the exception) has DARK tinting side and back.
Though I don't put a lot of miles on it anymore, I'm getting my daily driver-an '89 Vic, tinted.

Here's an excerpt from skincancer.org

Here’s How It Works

Two main types of ultraviolet (UV) rays from the sun can cause DNA damage in your skin, even from brief exposures. The shorter UVB rays are the ones that cause sunburn, while the longer UVA rays cause tanning as well as skin aging and wrinkles. Over time, the damage from either or both types of rays can lead to skin cancer.

While glass blocks UVB rays pretty well, it doesn’t block UVA rays. Windshields are treated to shield drivers from some UVA, but side, back and sunroof windows usually aren’t. So when you’re in your car, you should protect yourself and your family from that sunlight shining through the glass.

ablediver

Reaction score
WABronc,

Sorry for the tardy reply. I checked the door panels on my '96 EB and that trim piece looks like its modular and replaceable. That said, I couldn't find anyone who carries that part alone. It seems that Eddie Bauer exclusive part is hard to find. The only solution that comes close is a package from Coverlay, which replaces the entire door panel, less the electricals (lights, switches, etc.). On top of that, it's pricey, dependent on the vendor.

Alternately, maybe there's a donor vehicle in your area. I've found a source for parts through Facebook (it's actually good for something) on Facebook Marketplace, under Ford Broncos and O.B.S. (Old Body Style) Ford trucks.It's worth a look at least. Just my $.02.

Ablediver out

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar