Im stumped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhpt99

Reaction score
If i turn the ignition counter clockwise or clockwise 1 click over it wont allow me to listen to the radio. I have to click it twice clockwise. In other words i cant get my auxilery to work. It does unlock the steering wheel though. I looked at the fuse diagram and didnt see a fuse for the auxilery. Does any one have any ideas why it would do this?

Yardape

Reaction score
I missed where you wrote counter clockwise, I see it now. Aside from dropping the steering column and checking the ignition switch I really dont know. Unless maybe the stereo has been wired in by someone and they used a different power source. Is it the stock stereo?

OP
OP
dhpt99

dhpt99

Reaction score
Everything is stock. Nothing works when you click it once in either direction. Inculding the windows. :huh:

Balbronco

Reaction score
Note, my 1988 bronco 302 auto has always been the same way. The ignition switch broke on me a couple days ago and alldata mentions something about adjusting the ignition switch. I put in the new switch yesterday and it's stuck in the run position no matter where u turn it. I figure it must be adjusted, but im going to check it out today. I'll update you if I find a solution to this.

OP
OP
dhpt99

dhpt99

Reaction score
Alright thanks. I always thought there was suppose to be an auxilary.

Balbronco

Reaction score
Sorry for the late update. I changed out the ignition cylinder for a new one and it turned but no crank. Put the old one back in and it actually was clicking like it should but no crank. I figured the actuator rod was bad so I went to the dealer and picked up one. I pulled apart the whole steering column to find the actuator was fine. After checking it out longer it would only stay in the run position. I still don't have an auxiliary position on my ignition and don't see how there could be one. I hate to run my stereo in the run position.

Last edited by a moderator:

JLasvegas

Reaction score
are you doing this so you can run the radio with out the truck running?

if so that will **** a battery if you have any sort of amp in your system

OP
OP
dhpt99

dhpt99

Reaction score
Thanks Balbronco i was just expecting when i turn the key backwords or one click forward for there to be an

auxiliary. Do you know what it is used for on the bronco then ( turning the ignition 1 click either direction). JLasvegas

i am doing it to run the radio but it is the stock stero and to roll up and down the window without putting it to the run position.

ExFordtech

Reaction score
If everything is timed correctly...rotary gear on rack gear and your actuator link is not bending or broken you should be able to turn back on click for accessory position. I had to adjust my daughters ignition switch yesterday, her actuator link is about to go and it would not crank. Back in the day we used to put in two or three actuator links a week.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
there was a recall;

Recall, Ignition Switch, Short Circuit Defect info for 88-92 Fords On April 25, 1996 Ford Motor Company announced the recall of approximately nine million cars, trucks and minivans that may be equipped with a faulty ignition switch that may be responsible for causing hundreds of fires. In no case has any death or serious injury resulted from these fires. The recall covers 1988-93 models sold in both the U.S. and Canada that Ford says, "In a very small number of vehilces, the ignition switch could cause an internal short circuit, creating the potential for overheating, smoke and possibly fire in the steering column of the vehicle." The faulty ignitions switches can cause a short circuit that may lead to a fire whether the vehicle is turned on or off.

Owners of vehicle subject to the recall should contact their dealers to make arrangements to have the faulty ignition switch replaced free of charge. The replacement will take approximately 30-60 minutes. Owners may contact Ford at 1-800-392-3673.

Source: by AUTOPEDIA

Balbronco

Reaction score
My ignition doesn't turn counter-clockwise. There is a lock position for the steering wheel and then that's it. My system has 2 pioneer 2-way speakers in the front, 2 6x9 sony 3-way speakers in the rear and a 10" subwoofer. With the system drawing it's maximum amount (full volume) i've had it on for 20-30 minutes and after that no problem cranking. I don't know what battery I have in there, but it's damn good. If you'd like to know i'll go check, but it's at the shop right now.

OP
OP
dhpt99

dhpt99

Reaction score
Thanks every one. I really gota look into that recall and actuator link. And when you get a chance i'd like to know the battery you have.

BB33's

Reaction score
An Optima Red Top is a good cranking battery but it is designed for powerful starting what he needs is a yellow top which has the good cca but a 140 min. reserve capacity.

OP
OP
dhpt99

dhpt99

Reaction score
Well right now my battery is working fine but if/when i put fog lights and a winch on it i wana o put a bigger battery in it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23