Ignition upgrades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt_V

Have Bronco....need money.
Reaction score
Can you replace the DuraSpark module with something like an MSD ignition module, or even some type of better distributor? I've seen something called an HEI distibutor, does that work with the Duraspark or replace it?

Redneck86

First On Race Day
Reaction score
A HEI dizzy is what alot of Chevys and GMCs have, it has the coil inside the cap. A MSD ingnition box will add some more spark but it works off the stock module. I just put a set of Champion plugs, ACCEL 8mm super stock 4000 spark plug wires and a ACCEL super stock coil. That added some power back to my 86.

Leadsled

Reaction score
Can you replace the DuraSpark module with something like an MSD ignition module, or even some type of better distributor? I've seen something called an HEI distibutor, does that work with the Duraspark or replace it?

Dont waste your money. Just buy good replacements ie: plugs, wires, coil, etc...... Unless your into big hp and high compression it not gonna make enough difference to spend the money on the MSD setup which would be close to $500. Now if you plan on going big in the future then an aftermarket ignition setup would be a decent investment. On a stock or mildly built engine, a spark is just a spark.

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Yes spark is just spark but MSD,s is hotter and continuous where as the duraspark is one shot and gone . I have run MSD for yrs and they do make the engine run smoother if theres gas in the hole it will fire . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Ozark Hauler

Reaction score
1994 Eddie Bauer , almost 170k on it .

Just got done with my intial Ignition upgrade "

From Summit - $150.00 (-)

MSD 8227 48k Coil

Bosch Platinum +2 Plugs

Taylor 8.2mm "Thunder Volt" Wires 50 Ohms resistance per ft.

Noticed immediate changes - Idle Increased 100-150 (Adjusted down to 650 and gave it 16* timing) , Gas mileage +2-4 mpg . Immediate power increase , starts much quicker .

Saved the Motorcraft/Autolight ***** for emergencies .

Eventually :

May get a a Jacobs Igntion or Pertronix "Second Strike"

Doesn't MSD 6/6AL only come in after about 3,000 RPM or is it "Up Too" about 3K ?

a New MSD Distributor/Cap and Rotor .

I noticed on my Motorcraft Dist. Cap contacts more corrosion on the contacts across or 2-3 contacts apart but Dist. Bushings "seem" tight . I checked them for any wobble when the engine was out last fall .

Steve

"Ozark Hauler"

BLADE262US

Reaction score
The MSD box is multiple spark so you get multiple sparks through crankshaft rotation up to 3000 RPM then its just one continous spark after that . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Ozark Hauler

Reaction score
Thanks "Blade" !

Okay here's another question about the MSD 6/AL . Isn't the "Spark Cycle" something like 20* of Crank Rotation ? In that case would you need to back off the initial timing to prevent detonation ? I'm running 14*-16* initial timing ( I think stock is 10* BTDC -94' 351) , so at that setting I'd theroretically be getting spark after TDC . Do these 94's with the EEC-IV have a knock sensor ?

I guess for ease of installation , MSD would be the way to go since it's a "Plug-n-Play" system . I sure like the MSD Coil, Bosch Plugs and those Taylor Wires . Made a world of difference so far . Be nice to get the MSD 6AL ,drop in distributor and Harness .

I'd also like a cam that comes in at about 1800 rpm. (Lunati has one that is real close or right in that range for $320.00) . So all in all about another $1400.00 for the Ignition and top end . Then,,,,, a T/C with about 2200 rpm stall but I see them around $1100.00 .

The truck cruises at 2,000 rpm. @ 70mph. ; but when I'm hauling a load or yanking something down in 4xLow Gear or 4xLow/Low The cam would be "right there" as the truck is usually in the 2-3k rpm band . It's a damn shame my new engine is such low compression . If I had the casg I'd build a 351W up to about 9.5:1 , I think mine may be about 8:1 if I'm lucky (Static Compression "dry" was @ 125 psi on install - I haven't done a new compression test on it yet , it's got less than 5k on a new engine) . I can't see an increase of 30-40 psi even after the rings have seated happening .

I don't want a "Racer" I actually want decent mileage and hauling ability . The days of Hot Roddin' and given way to MPG and how big a load I can move .

I love it , it's a great rig on and off road . good ride , and those adjustable shocks are great when hauling . But it does need some air bags between the frame and the rear springs . Sometimes I get the headlights "shootin'at the moon" and on our roads that's a "dog" when the front suspension gets unloaded and it starts to wander .

Steve

Matt ,

PS - Sorry to "Hijack" your thread . I just wanted to share what I'd done to my 94' and the improvements and it's kinda snowballed .

Last edited by a moderator:

BLADE262US

Reaction score
No you would set your base timing the same it fires for 20 deg of crankshaft rotation after its initial input to fire . It just makes sure that the fire lit by firing multiple times and after 3000 rpm its just a continous spark for that 20 deg , This is because it will fire so fast it might as well be one continuos spark . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
Matt_V

Matt_V

Have Bronco....need money.
Reaction score
Matt ,PS - Sorry to "Hijack" your thread . I just wanted to share what I'd done to my 94' and the improvements and it's kinda snowballed .
No problem. Nice to read about all the improvements that can be made and how they affect performance.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23