Idle Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Travis lepant

Reaction score
So this is kinda a idk what to call it really topic. So i bought a 1990 5.8 bronco last year and have been bringing it back to life slowly. I got it when I lived in Denver ran good the first week I got it then started dying on me when I would drive it and would not restart. Had this issue for good 5months witch probably could be another topic but can say it starts up 90%of the time now. My issue however is around chrismas time my bronco was running almost perfect. Idle was good not really bogging down much when I would drive it ran pretty smooth. Went to go get my son a gift about an hour away from where I live. Did great no issues. I parked it and it set for a couple of weeks due to being low on cash and it's a gas hog. It got down to -temps during those weeks as well witchbi don't know if that would of causes anything. Anyways went to go start it couple weeks later after buying my son a gift started right up idled perfect would shift into gear but would not move. Drove great last time I drove it. Started shiftig heard fastly hopeing it would go into gear but nothing. Checked linkage it was good got it running to normal operate temp checked transmission fluid it was good. Thoght maybe the transmission just suddenly shit out witch made no sence at all. So it sat for couple more weeks. At the beginning of this week I went out for the fun of it to see if it would go into gear but didn't want to start due started not ingageing. Got it to ingage however and was idling rough jumping from 400rpm to 1500 and staying between there. Took it for quick spin to see if it would run better and it didnt. Replaced starter today starts every time but won't stay running. The rpms jump from 400 to 1500-1800 drop back down to 400 then spikes to 3000 and stays there for couple mins then drops back down to 400-300 and dies. Won't stay running longer the 5 mins now and am at a lost. I replaced all plugs wires dis. Rotor coil fuel filter air filter checked vacuums lines and ground and can't seem to crack this one. Any ideas??

Seabronc

Reaction score
Welcome to the Zone !!

I assume it is a 1990, but please add your truck's vitals to your signature.  Sounds like you got the starting problem fixed.  Off the top of my head, the idle problem sounds like a failing TPS (Throttle Position Sensor).  I don't believe in wasting money throwing parts at a problem so, I'm asking Al to jump in here and provide you with some test procedures to isolate the problem.  Also, if the shifting problem comes back let's treat that as the subject of a separate post.  To avoid confusion, we like to keep to one problem per subject.  I'm changing the title to Idle problems.

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Travis,

Welcome!

Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)s by my pal, BroncoJoe19 @

http://broncozone.com/topic/14269-code-reader/?pid=74587&mode=threaded

Some basics;

The engine temperature must be greater than 50° F for the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Self-Test and greater than 180° F for the Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test.

Run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears including Reverse.

Make sure A/C is off and transmission is in Park (automatic); or in Neutral for a Manual & release clutch.

Then turn off engine, all accessories/lights (close driver's door) , etc. Its a good idea to have a helper read the codes.

Do KOEO test First

Post Code(s) here according to:

KOEO

&

KOER

Look at my Vacuum leak test in post #20 @ vacuum leak test BroncoZone post #20

It shows often overlooked components and hoses such as HVAC System under hood next to evaporator and in cab under dash.

Have a vacuum gauge on-hand first. One of the best low-cost troubleshooting tool around.

As Fred suggested;

Throttle Position Sensor Test, Operational Description & Parameters

Source: by Ryan M @ http://www.fuelinjectedford.com/page30.html

Location Diagram & Depiction in 87-91 (from Factory Manual and the Ford Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual (EVTM)

Source: by Broncobill78 (Dave) @

http://broncozone.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=6665

Replacement pics, Source: by xris @ http://www.supermotors.org/clubs/superford/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=5183&s=29981

"...TO CHECK THE TPS: Turn the ignition to ON (engine not running) and install the probes of the volt-meter into the ground wire (black) and the signal wire (green) on the backside of the electrical connector. This process is called BACKPROBING. Turn your key to the on position (the engine need not be running to perform this test). Your meter should read 0.50-1.0 volts at idle. FYI...because the black probe kept on sliping out of the back of the plug I grounded it to the battery, which works just fine aso.

Rotate the throttle to the full-open position and the sensor should increase voltage to 4.0-5.0 volts. The maximum voltage I got was 1.85 volts. So I was for sure this must be the problem. Many have said that if you do not get a steady increase in voltage, this also is a sign of a bad TPS.

THROTTLE BODY REMOVAL: In most case you will need to remove the TB to get to the TPS. First remove intake hoses and the throttle cable assembly.

The bolts that hold the throttle assembly (located on top of the intake) are 1/2"

Next disconnect IAC plug, coolant hoses and vacuum lines. Remove the four bolts holding the TB to the intake. These bolts are 3/8".

TPS is located @ bottom of the Throttlen Body

While you have this apart...check the intake and TB for crud build-up

Mine was looking pretty nasty. Get some of this, a toothbrush and a rag and start cleaning it out:

CLEAN TB AND INTAKE with carb cleaner.

While I was at it I decided to pick up a NEW Haynes manual. By the time it was all said and done I got the sensor and manual for original price of the sensor...christmas has come early!

INSTALL: Prior to removing the TPS, remove the negative battery cable. Some truck years will require that you scribe a mark across the sensor and the TB to ensure that the new sensor is installed in the same exact location. I was not sure about my truck so I did it anyway.

Remove the two phillips head screws and remove the sensor.

New sensor should be positioned the same as the old...wiring harness pointed away from the IAC.

1) 10th picture (after the spray cleaner) showsd the TB gasket. take it off before you clean the TB.

2) I beleive some models you have to align correctly...not sure if the 86 is for sure but I followed the directions just in case (marking the position)

Engage the tanges of the sensor with the throttle shaft blade, then rotate it clockwise to align the reference marks before installing the screws.

Reinstall the TB in reverse order. Make sure you hook vac lines, coolant lines and sensor wires up..."

One guess for now;

Idle Air Bypass aka Idle Air Control (IAC) Valve

Excerpts; "...Go under the hood, and disconnect the electrical connector to the IAB. If the engine begins to stubble or stalls the IAB is functional and does not need to be repaired. If the engine idle does not change you should remove the IAB for inspection.

The IAB can pass and still need repair, or it can fail and not need replacing. The plunger and internal spring can get clogged with dirt and oil. This will slow down the air flow and not allow the IAB to function properly. Remove the IAB and clean it. There are 2 halves to the IAB, and you can not buy just one half, but you can take it apart to clean it. But if the internal solenoid is faulty the IAB needs to be replaced..." by Ryan M. @

http://www.fuelinjectedford.com/page39.html

The IAC valve is used to control engine idle speed & is mounted on the bottom of the throttle body. It allows air to bypass the throttle plate. The amount of air allowed to bypass the throttle plate, will be determined by the EEC IV and will be controlled by a duty cycle signal.

IAC Location pics by Bobby @

slide1.jpg

slide3.jpg

IAC gasket trim by Nelbur @ http://broncozone.com/topic/22150-fast-idle-problem/?pid=115710

Excerpts; "...Well, my idle hunting problem has been around for about 25 years. Under warranty I would just take the truck back and say, "It's idling like crap. Fix it!" And they would clean everything, and it would be fine for a few months...

After so many years of catching it with the accelerator it is darned hard to leave my foot off it. It is clear to me that by trial and error one can tune the air bypass without the need for the expensive Ford kit. I may combine the two gaskets for more bypass, but the idle is about as fast as I would want now, especially for driving in snow. .."

To help identify your transmission, here is the E4OD Overdrive Switch on Dash pic in a 90 by 90broncocanada

http://s137.photobucket.com/user/90bronco_photos/media/repairs%20and%20modifycations/IMG_0001.jpg.html

He had to reattach the6vswith because a previous owner mangled it.

An AOD Automatic transmission doesn't have a seperate OD switch.

AOD have 14 pan bolts, see diagram & pic; P-R-N-(D)-D-1 shifter pattern, note, OD is actually a (D) - Indicator pic by trigger @

.http://smg.photobucket.com/user/RampageFSJ/media/a4-1.jpg.html

whoabegone

Reaction score
Ok after all that I saw a post that said you could check ecm I would. Also had very same on mine same engine and turned out to be very psycho module AND then the ecm if you can take ign module to O'rielly's  as they can bench check them if it passes bench check grab it quick and if it's screaming hot it is bad anyway apparently some of the OEM and after market ones had a crappy solder job. If you can decode an obd1 and if you get 4 to 40 death codes no oil press. or the same code over and over start thinking ecm because the only thing you can't decode is a faulty but not dead ECM. 

My 30 centavos  

OP
OP
T

Travis lepant

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the advise I'm going to run the tests and see if I can figure anything out. My bronco is a 1990 bronco 5.8 Eddie Bauer edition. I'm not sure how to change my signature I have never joined a forum before and am glad I did. I would also like to mention and am not sure if this would help pin point anything. But when I last took it for a spin my rpms were at 1500 it was slow to get up to speed and when I got it up it would only go 55 and the rpms were steady at 2500 wouldn't go any faster and pedal was to the floor. Thanks everyone I will let you know how it goes when I get done.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Travis,

To fill out your Signature with year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc.;

Click your name in right black panel in upper right;

In pop up,

Click, My Profile

Click, Edit My Profile in right side black panel

In left panel, Click, Edit Signature

Enter info

Click, Save Changes

To post a pic from your PC, TABLET, etc., just below the reply box in lower right corner, click More Reply Options

Screen will change

See Attach files

pick out the pic

Click Attach This File

or click, Try our advanced uploader (requires Flash 9)

Our sponsor, Jeff at the Bronco Graveyard has offered a 2% discount to members of The BroncoZone for on line orders. To get your discount, enter the discount code BZMEMBER. Also you must include your BroncoZone User Name with the order.

http://broncograveyard.com

Here are some wiring diagrams (partial, 86 through 96) and Technical Service Bulletins, (80 through 96) @

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd

1990 Bronco Service & Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual (EVTM) by Kingfish in Google Drive @

https://drive.google.com/drive/mobile/folders/0BzRTW4yeT2u4UkhzR0ZydDd3MzA?usp=sharing&tid=0BzRTW4yeT2u4NXB6NW5neFRoZGc

Edit, BUT VERY SLOW TO LOAD

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Root710