I need help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Country

Reaction score
I have an 83 Bronco 302 carb. I have been piecing it back together and finally got it to start last night. TYhe timing is in definate need of help but that is not why i need help. it died last night on a test run and won't start back up. it wants to start but it is cranking very slow. i just recharged the battery and tested teh starter and alternator at autozone. i just replaced the solenoid too so i don't think it's bad. the starter wire to teh solenoid and teh positive battery cable from teh solenoid get really hot when i try to start it. does anyone know why this would happen and if it has anything to do with it not wanting to start. The accessories that come on when the key is forward arent coming on anymore either. Any help ideas would be greatly appreciated. please help. need this truck as daily driver.

Last edited by a moderator:

pinson27

Reaction score
I have an 83 Bronco 302 carb. I have been piecing it back together and finally got it to start last night. TYhe timing is in definate need of help but that is not why i need help. it died last night on a test run and won't start back up. it wants to start but it is cranking very slow. i just recharged the battery and tested teh starter and alternator at autozone. i just replaced the solenoid too so i don't think it's bad. the starter wire to teh solenoid and teh positive battery cable from teh solenoid get really hot when i try to start it. does anyone know why this would happen and if it has anything to do with it not wanting to start. The accessories that come on when the key is forward arent coming on anymore either. Any help ideas would be greatly appreciated. please help. need this truck as daily driver.
Sounds like you got a ground off for sure.Run a decent size ground wire from your -bat post to the body,and check the ground from the engine to the frame.Also there should be one from the engine to the body.The quickest way to test these is using a set of jumper cables as grounds till you find the weak link.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Here is a diagram for you to look at in checking connections. All connections to the solenoid with the exception of the starter and pick line, belong on the battery side stud.

Good luck,

:)>-

PG12.jpg

PG13.jpg

PG18.jpg

PG19.jpg

Yardape

Reaction score
Here is a diagram for you to look at in checking connections. All connections to the solenoid with the exception of the starter and pick line, belong on the battery side stud.
Good luck,

:)>-
Seabronc, Whats a pick line?

OP
OP
Big Country

Big Country

Reaction score
Got the beast running the other day but as i was tweaking the timing on it it slowly stopped turning and ended up stopping with a nasty metal on metal screech, does anyone know what would cause this. It then started barely trying to crank as i was trying to start it, but it would start again. does it have to do with the timing?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23