Hydroplaned

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

comebakthursday

Reaction score
Hey i dont really have much to say just want to share my late night experience with yall last night.

So it was busy as crap and i was making a wide left from a dead stop at a light. It's raining and im going about 10mph around the turn, about 2/3's through the intersection. I lost control and go into a spin, then my car truck starts spinning in the opposite direction. Next thing i know my car pops up on the curb. Only thing i remember thinking was just before i hit i was like "omg when i hit this thing sideways my trucks going to tip over". Luckily i didnt, and luckily i was in the front or i would of taken any other car out with me. I have a 95 bronco. I now have a busted tire and busted wheel and had to put my spare tire on. I need all new tires and all new matching wheels too.

Anyone have similiar experiences?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo!

Unfortunately yes, a few times; mostly when leaving toll booths; have you checked tire pressure and tread depth recently?

Of course, some other thAngs may have caused the spin....non limited slip rear, auto hubs failed, Elex Xfer case bugged out at the exact wrong time, etc. But tire tread is main culprit.

GL!

gatorbronco

Reaction score
I've also experienced this many, many times in the rain...I think it's just a combination of off-road tires (less rubber in contact with the asphalt) and the overall size/design of the bronco. Therefore I've learned and I keep PLENTY of room between my truck and the car in front of me in the rain.

stusainte

Reaction score
Hey" I also have a 95 XLT Even with new allterrains when hittin a puddle you can feel the truck hydo' but you just have to be aware and try to compinsate and hold on tight basically tire size excet. think its somethig you have to deal with Good Luck

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Hey i dont really have much to say just want to share my late night experience with yall last night.
So it was busy as crap and i was making a wide left from a dead stop at a light. It's raining and im going about 10mph around the turn, about 2/3's through the intersection. I lost control and go into a spin, then my car truck starts spinning in the opposite direction. Next thing i know my car pops up on the curb. Only thing i remember thinking was just before i hit i was like "omg when i hit this thing sideways my trucks going to tip over". Luckily i didnt, and luckily i was in the front or i would of taken any other car out with me. I have a 95 bronco. I now have a busted tire and busted wheel and had to put my spare tire on. I need all new tires and all new matching wheels too.

Anyone have similiar experiences?

Can't be sure but I'd guess you'll also be needing an alignment as well. Did you wreck a front tire or rear ? Hydroplaning is usually assosciated with worn tires and low tread-depth. What kind of tires are you running ? Most off-road tires actually resist hydroplaning very well because 1) even though the lugs & voids are large they often have a larger *absolute* contact patch then regular passenger tires (the extra length & width add up) and 2) off-road tires usually have much larger voids and deeper tread giving the water that many more paths out from under you, and of course tire pressure has a whole LOT to do with it.

Also, don't discount the possibility that your spin may have been initiated by oil, tranny fluid, etc on the roadway *under* the water and once you got started inertia took over & you just went along for the ride.

If your tires were worn or the pressure wasn't what it should have been then you have a smoking gun but if they were in good shape, correct PSI and all then I'd look to a road hazzard as the initiating factor. The rain surely made it easier for you to spin but that doesn't mean it was the cause. 12yrs as a Mass police officer, I saw *a lot* of these.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
C

comebakthursday

Reaction score
hey guys. Im on stock 30's. My back left one blew, luckily the axles and everything are fine. I already needed a slight alignment. And yea air was a little low in them and they are about 80 percent worn. That wheel can no longer hold air. Im looking to find a original wheel to replace it and get new tires in the next couple of months.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
hey guys. Im on stock 30's. My back left one blew, luckily the axles and everything are fine. I already needed a slight alignment. And yea air was a little low in them and they are about 80 percent worn. That wheel can no longer hold air. Im looking to find a original wheel to replace it and get new tires in the next couple of months.
Low pressure combined w/only 20% of the original tread would sure do it. As for the rims, stockers might be a bit pricey depending on where you find them, might want to consider a set of cheap chrome wagon wheels. If one rim was rusted to the point where it won't hold air you *might* want to consider just getting a new set. Save your best stock rim & use it for the spare, pick yourself up a set of 5 new tires and use a 5-tire rotation, just a thought.

OP
OP
C

comebakthursday

Reaction score
Low pressure combined w/only 20% of the original tread would sure do it. As for the rims, stockers might be a bit pricey depending on where you find them, might want to consider a set of cheap chrome wagon wheels. If one rim was rusted to the point where it won't hold air you *might* want to consider just getting a new set. Save your best stock rim & use it for the spare, pick yourself up a set of 5 new tires and use a 5-tire rotation, just a thought.
Thanks for the advice man. Sadly i can't afford new tires OR wheels until december.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane