Hub pulling problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bozone802

Reaction score
So I am trying to pull the manual locking hubs off my 1979 dana 44. i have looked through this forum and others to find help, but have failed. i believe i may need a hub bearing puller, but some sites have made it seem not necessary. the picture below is how far i have got. so do i need a puller? or do i just keep yanking and pounding on it? if anyone could direct me to other threads about my issue that would be great too!

THANKS

DSC_0059.jpg

Foul Al

Reaction score
So I am trying to pull the manual locking hubs off my 1979 dana 44. i have looked through this forum and others to find help, but have failed. i believe i may need a hub bearing puller, but some sites have made it seem not necessary. the picture below is how far i have got. so do i need a puller? or do i just keep yanking and pounding on it? if anyone could direct me to other threads about my issue that would be great too!

THANKS
hello bud. looks as if you haven't removed the ''c'' spring clip that lets that gear out of the hub. it sits in a groove just inside the lip of the hub. also there is a ''c'' clip on the end of the shaft in the center that needs to be removed before you can get the gears out. use a pair of snap ring pliers to remove this ring. use an ''o'' ring tool ( pick ) or a verry small flathead screwdriver and run it in the outer groove of the hub untill you find one end of the clip. then find the other end and work it out of the hub. next you will need a spanner wrench.( i think thats what its called ) it looks like a verry deep and verry round socket with 4 little tabs on the inside lip of the tool. it will fit on a 1/2 inch drive. after you remove the clip and the gear you will have access to the ****** washer ( i think thats what its called ) it will have many little holes around it. remove that then remove the washer with the ****** and inner lock tab then use that spanner wrench to remove the nut. after that you will say '' that was easy! '' be sure to inspect all parts before you put them back in. Mile Marker makes a decent hub for these broncos for about $70.00. a real easy upgrade. good luck and remember the rags and grease! p.s. maybe updating your personal info. will make it possible to get hands on help from a nearby neighbor from the zone! locations are always good to reveal here.

Last edited by a moderator:

muddrivermike

Reaction score
And to top it off.It took me about 15 minutes to find the right picture that I thought was good enough to post.

Foul Al

Reaction score
And to top it off.It took me about 15 minutes to find the right picture that I thought was good enough to post.
close but not exact. the ******* are on the inside of the cup for the 78'79' front 4x4 hubs not on top. but hopefully he gets the jist..

muddrivermike

Reaction score
I cant remember but I have this and the one with them inside and I think that they both do the same thing.I know Ive used both of mine on my front hubs.They are just 2 different companies making the same (sort of) socket. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Foul Al

Reaction score
I cant remember but I have this and the one with them inside and I think that they both do the same thing.I know Ive used both of mine on my front hubs.They are just 2 different companies making the same (sort of) socket. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
your right, they will both do the same thing. i was stuck in the box and couldn't see out. dam box..,.

muddrivermike

Reaction score
your right, they will both do the same thing. i was stuck in the box and couldn't see out. dam box..,.
I even had to think about it for a minute,I really couldnt remember if they were different or not until I checked.

50joe

Reaction score
They will both work on yours, the one with the pegs out instead of inside the socket is for mine, where I dont have the clearance.

Foul Al

Reaction score
everyone is a comedian. LOL. Did you go out Sunday?
just a thought but i was thinking that it would be nice if the guy that started this question would say if this all helped him with his project or not. just curious? i think he should buy a chiltons or haynes for hir rig.

50joe

Reaction score
Yeah, I hear ya. I have come to the conclusion that when they stop askin, it's fixed. At least thats all I have to go on anyway

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke