Howdy all...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimbo26

Reaction score
Got into this biz somewhat by chance surfing classifieds, ran across this '91 model that was advertised at a fair price and supposedly had just 44k miles on it & in running condition.
A look-over revealed neglect in certain areas and been sitting outside had taken its toll on all the exterior rubber trim.
On the plus side- the body was straight, the interior was good, almost everything was still with the vehicle, no rust, fairly new tires and a E.B. edition?
Ok 🤷‍♂️
A quick negotiation, 💰 swaps hands, drove it up on the trailer & go home.
After I got the thing home and began to nose around the inside, found a sheet of paper that had a list as to what had been replaced on the vehicle that says the fuel tank and innards had been changed out along with the starter, water pump, alternator and some other minor things.
Almost a 'barn find' but not quite.
4X is inop along with the windows and dash lights. Had to change the lower seal out in the steering sector and will be replacing the muffler somebody tore off with a Flowmaster 50. While the 351 does run, it is going to require some evaluation/compression test to see if a freshen-up is required. Smoked the first few times it was started, but the more I work with it, the better it seems to get. After changing what looked like 15 yr old diesel engine oil out for some fresh Rotella, the last few runs have resulted in no more smoking. (add new fuel & treatment/cleaner for more testing)
It would seem that this vehicle has sat for a length of time as the fuel tank has been replaced. (Shiny metal there)
The title shows the mileage to be accurate and the more I dig into the thing, the more convincing it is that this vehicle is a bit of a Time capsule.
What I don't understand about the maintenance sheet is nobody ever seems to have given any thought to the valve cover gaskets. Looks to be OEM as there's plenty signs of oil leakage over the years- it is mighty nasty down underneath & on the transmission. Going to take a lot of cleanup down there.
Let the rehab begin😏20220506_194913.jpg20220513_112413.jpg20220513_112429.jpg

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome, Nice find.

I wonder how that paint will look after a good cleaning.

OP
OP
Jimbo26

Jimbo26

Reaction score
...and now the fuel pump decides to say 'I quit'.
Fix one thing, something else has to
cr💩p out. <g>
Inertia switch checks out Not tripped, checked power at FP relay, good. Replaced relay, still no fuel.
Here we go.....🙄

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you hear the pump running?

So I did this recently and was surprised it worked.

Pumps get stuck from sitting it seems. Garbage in the tank from old fuel, tar and varnish type thing.

Took a 18v battery from a power tool, hooked it to the fuel pump. Not hook it up and leave it, but touch and see if the extra power breaks it loose.
If not, reverse polarity and try spinning the pump backwards.

After a few tried I did get the pump freed up and truck is running good again.

Not sure what damage I did to the pump long term but so far so good.

OP
OP
Jimbo26

Jimbo26

Reaction score
A: Negative (and all fuses under the dash were removed 1 by 1 and given a careful survey, all ok there)
B: Sounds like a interesting possibility, thanks.
Where exactly did you jump the 18V into the system at?

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Where exactly did you jump the 18V into the system at?
Fuel pump relay.

Ground is ground, pump is already grounded.
So ground the 18v battery anywhere.

Brown wire I believe. Relay is on the driver's fender well under the hood usually close to or mounted with the EEC relay.

With the relay unplugged the circuit is isolated. So grounding the positive terminal of your 18V battery and jumping Ground to brown relay wire will spin pump backwards.

Attachments

• R.gif
    R.gif
    42 KB · Views: 4

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Got into this biz somewhat by chance surfing classifieds, ran across this '91 model that was advertised at a fair price and supposedly had just 44k miles on it & in running condition.
A look-over revealed neglect in certain areas and been sitting outside had taken its toll on all the exterior rubber trim.
On the plus side- the body was straight, the interior was good, almost everything was still with the vehicle, no rust, fairly new tires and a E.B. edition?
Ok 🤷‍♂️
A quick negotiation, 💰 swaps hands, drove it up on the trailer & go home.
After I got the thing home and began to nose around the inside, found a sheet of paper that had a list as to what had been replaced on the vehicle that says the fuel tank and innards had been changed out along with the starter, water pump, alternator and some other minor things.
Almost a 'barn find' but not quite.
4X is inop along with the windows and dash lights. Had to change the lower seal out in the steering sector and will be replacing the muffler somebody tore off with a Flowmaster 50. While the 351 does run, it is going to require some evaluation/compression test to see if a freshen-up is required. Smoked the first few times it was started, but the more I work with it, the better it seems to get. After changing what looked like 15 yr old diesel engine oil out for some fresh Rotella, the last few runs have resulted in no more smoking. (add new fuel & treatment/cleaner for more testing)
It would seem that this vehicle has sat for a length of time as the fuel tank has been replaced. (Shiny metal there)
The title shows the mileage to be accurate and the more I dig into the thing, the more convincing it is that this vehicle is a bit of a Time capsule.
What I don't understand about the maintenance sheet is nobody ever seems to have given any thought to the valve cover gaskets. Looks to be OEM as there's plenty signs of oil leakage over the years- it is mighty nasty down underneath & on the transmission. Going to take a lot of cleanup down there.
Let the rehab begin😏View attachment 29912View attachment 29913View attachment 29914

Awesome Bronco! Welcome to the forum! Hope you create a build thread for it with all the things you will be working on.

OP
OP
Jimbo26

Jimbo26

Reaction score
Fuel pump relay.

Ground is ground, pump is already grounded.
So ground the 18v battery anywhere.

Brown wire I believe. Relay is on the driver's fender well under the hood usually close to or mounted with the EEC relay.

With the relay unplugged the circuit is isolated. So grounding the positive terminal of your 18V battery and jumping Ground to brown relay wire will spin pump backwards.

Understood. Will give that a try, although I will replace the module if it proves to be the culprit. This way I know for sure that component is at 'zero-time'.
If you have any diagrams like that on the 4X electronic shift stuff, that would also be greatly appreciated. I'm assuming the 4X control module itself is somewhere up behind & to the right of the glove box? (remove the box for access?)
This➡️(tech)know-how⬅️ is what makes for a great forum as knowledge=power.
So you and Meisk5 must both be Power-meisters.
And to answer the question on your Av-
⬇️Ya! 😊🍺

Attachments

• 20220519_152540.jpg
    20220519_152540.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
OP
OP
Jimbo26

Jimbo26

Reaction score
Awesome Bronco! Welcome to the forum! Hope you create a build thread for it with all the things you will be working on.
Gracia-
Am planning on staying fairly close to stock as this is going to be a camping vehicle and Reliability is a prime factor.
Already have a new set of Rancho 5ks on hand and a diff. locker. All the external rubber is getting replaced and the tailgate is getting a thorough go-thru.
Fortunate that my work has a small graveyard of ford trucks around this vintage, so have been able to nab another aluminum rim that matches, antenna and some other minor or things. Wearable like switches, etc that have died are getting replaced with new.

Last edited:

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Understood.
Off topic,

German shepherds are awesome. Once you have a good one you will always be looking for another just like it.
I have had them my whole life, now my kids have them.
They just fit our life style I guess.

OP
OP
Jimbo26

Jimbo26

Reaction score
So who in here is a resident EEC-4/Speed density guru that knows everything there is to know about such topics?
Am curious about just how much the SD will tolerate in regards to mods before it throws a 'coniption fit'.
Will the late model F4 block work with it?

Last edited:

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Sorry Jimbo26, just saw this.
I have a lot of EEC1V speed density experience. But mostly diagnostics, stock. I know the pcm will get cranky if the vacuum at idle is low or unsteady due to big overlap (lobe separation)
But not sure where the line is.
What are you planning?
When you say F4block, are you talking roller 5.8?
If so, it should go right in.
I put a 95 in my 81 Bronco with ported E7 mustang heads and shortys with a 4barrel. Easy peasy.
Hope that helps
Cheers

ablediver

Reaction score
Jimbo26,

Welcome to Bronco ownership. The fuel tank replacement was not unusual on that vintage. I have a 90' (mine since 91') and the OEM fuel tanks (not all) had a tendency to develop leaks---serious leaks! Came home one night to a puddle of gas in my garage. That tank was replaced was replaced in the late 1990's with a less problematic version, and so far, no leaks. Long term storage issues related to fuel systems will relate to what the fuel integrity was like by the previous owner(s), i.e: did they store it with a stabilizer additive (?) did they store it full (?). Lastly, if you can send me a pic of your odometer, I can give you a pretty good guess if yours has turned over once. Even with paint that needs attention, any older Bronco with 40K miles on it would command prices in the five figure range. Looks like the interior is in pretty good shape. Given that it was an EB, a previous owner may have opted for seat covers.
L\Bronco speaks truth. Stick with the 5.8 and limit any headaches.

Ablediver out

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Off topic,

German shepherds are awesome. Once you have a good one you will always be looking for another just like it.
I have had them my whole life, now my kids have them.
They just fit our life style I guess.
I know exactly what you mean Tiha0E2962F4-DC2A-4485-9EA0-F197CC4EABB3.jpeg
125 lbs of awesomeness!!

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean TihaView attachment 30131
125 lbs of awesomeness!!
I need to grab pics. Both my boys have all black GS.

More of a traditional black and tan guy myself. LOL

They sure do make you feel safe though. Watching people back up from the door, or walk way back from the door. LOL

L\Bronco

Reaction score
I need to grab pics. Both my boys have all black GS.

More of a traditional black and tan guy myself. LOL

They sure do make you feel safe though. Watching people back up from the door, or walk way back from the door. LOL
They sure do, Our female has more traditional colors and shes crazy smart! I take a couple picts tomorrow.
I'd love to see yours!

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke