Hole Pattern for Tailgate Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RonnieW

Reaction score
I am replacing my tailgate on a 1996 Bronco, of course they're no holes for either the applique or the tire rack rest. Does anyone know of an easier way to correctly drill these holes. I was going to use masking paper over the old tailgate as a pattern but it didn't seem to be as accurate as i wanted. I'd hate to drill a hole in the wrong place, I'm fixing enough holes in the body to start with.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Ron,
"This is everything you need to add a swingaway to an '80-96 that never had one.

swingawaysexploded.jpg

The hard part will be getting the nut plate (reinforcement) into the quarter panel, but I think it would be OK to cut it in the middle, install, then weld/rivet it.
It'd be really difficult to correctly add the nut plate into the quarter panel without TOTALLY REMOVING the skin from the truck. The plate goes between the inner & outer skins at the spot welds, and it's too big to insert thru the taillight opening. You can cut the plate to insert it & then try to work it into place, but I don't know of anyone who has actually done it either way. I might have the one that goes in the t/g, but I sold the only quarter panel nut plate I ever had.
Your best move is to buy or build a bumper strong enough to handle the spare, possibly using a RockStomper-style hinge." By Steve83

swingawaybrkt.jpg

OP
OP
RonnieW

RonnieW

Reaction score
Yo Ron,
"This is everything you need to add a swingaway to an '80-96 that never had one.

View attachment 22363

The hard part will be getting the nut plate (reinforcement) into the quarter panel, but I think it would be OK to cut it in the middle, install, then weld/rivet it.
It'd be really difficult to correctly add the nut plate into the quarter panel without TOTALLY REMOVING the skin from the truck. The plate goes between the inner & outer skins at the spot welds, and it's too big to insert thru the taillight opening. You can cut the plate to insert it & then try to work it into place, but I don't know of anyone who has actually done it either way. I might have the one that goes in the t/g, but I sold the only quarter panel nut plate I ever had.
Your best move is to buy or build a bumper strong enough to handle the spare, possibly using a RockStomper-style hinge." By Steve83

swingawaybrkt.jpg
Thank you for your help. That helps a lot

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Ronnie,
YW!
I'll look for the hole pattern template.
Steve wrote "
Virtually all factory fasteners are Gr.5, but they're substantially better than typical Gr.5 hardware. The ones for the swingaway are also very distinct. Those bolts have 10mm head, a relatively small captive washer, & 8mmx1.25mm threads about 30mm long with an angled slot in the tip for self-tapping. Common hardware bolts won't fit because the heads are too large. Hex cap screws probably will fit, but they won't look right. The right ones CAN be found in JYs because they're the same for all '78-96 Broncos w/external spare. Similar bolts are used in other places on the body, and on many other Ford/L/M products.
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/894887_1

The first two 47104 pads are clear, like the self-adhesive laminating covers for cards. The last one with 2 pushpins is black self-adhesive plastic. They inevitably stretch & wrinkle because the rubber bumper sticks to it. If you want any of them to last, you have to keep that bumper lubed with a little silicone grease so it can slide on the pad.

If you pull that taillight and look inside the body, do you see a reinforcement factory-welded & painted in there like this?
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/517012

Attachments

• swingawaykit95.jpg
    swingawaykit95.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
OP
OP
RonnieW

RonnieW

Reaction score
I have a new aftermarket tailgate with no pre-drilled holes, the old tailgate had holes drilled in the top inside portion so that the carpet pad can be secured with Christmas tree push pins. The outside doesn't have any holes for the swing away tire latch nor for the aluminum applique. I was trying to do it the easy way by hoping someone had a pattern or information on the hole layouts

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,
See 22- My Bronco doesn't have an exterior tire carrier. Can I add one? @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/threads/common-replies-to-faqs.165569/#post-2346185

THEN, due to having a body shop install the internal 1/4 panel nut plate (reinforcement) at a $$$, some owners seek out a yard queenfor bolt hole locations.
For a YARD SEARCH on-line, I use;
Hollander Quality Replacement Parts | Find Used Auto Parts | Online Locator
A yard that uses Hollander Interchange can search other yards and have it shipped including some Canadian yards.
"...For over eighty years, Hollander has been making the best tool for fast, interchangeable part matches. The new Edition Hollander Interchange contains more interchangeable options than ever before.
The Hollander Interchange provides auto recyclers and auto collectors, rebuilders, and others with the easiest and most comprehensive solution for identifying interchangeable auto parts..." See their yard Directory @ Seller Directory | Used Auto Parts | Hollanderparts
Can select a certain part.
If a specific part isn't listed, search again for the next higher assembly, such as in this instance,
Screenshot_20210506-112604_Chrome.jpg

Ecoboosted

Reaction score
It sounds like your Bronco already had the carrier- if so you have the template, you just have to cut it out. You shouldn't have to mess with the quarter panel and reinforcement in the quarter if you're just working with the tailgate.

As far as how I made my template- when I replaced my quarter skins I just used a cutoff wheel to cut the original quarter skin around the holes, then I laid the cut piece over the new skin to mark the holes. Since that was around the corner of the quarter, it was real easy to make sure it was in the right spot because it fit over it like a glove. For the tailgate you may be able to do something similar, you'll just have to get the measurements from the sides right.

You'll also need the reinforcement plate with the weld nuts from inside the original tailgate. If I remember correctly it "floats" in the tailgate so it can move around when it's loose. That should mean that there are just some tabs holding it in the original tailgate. The replacement tailgate may or may not have these tabs, but if you can get the bolts started that's all you really need.

As far as the aluminum cover, just put a dab of grease on the studs and lay it on the tailgate where it goes to mark the stud locations.

chrlsful

Reaction score
we need some1 w/one to measure offa (triangulate) point for each drilling of the sheet metal corner/taillght bucket. I'd go to JBGyrd or other w/on line catelogue'n C what the inside bolt plate looks like. (miesk may have it above). Tack the bolts to that, snake it inside w/a panel removal, no? On the EB some take off the whole TL bucket. The release handle bolt plate will fit thru our EB tailgate, not sure here. HTH

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke