Hidin winch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hop's Bronco

Reaction score
I have been looking around and found some bumpers that hide the winch behind them but I have had no luck finding one for anything below a 97.... So I have made plans to fab one up my self and was wondering if anyone out there had the same idea???? And if so any luck with it???

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Yes, I've done this with a 79'. I fabbed a large bumper from 4" x .25" irrigation pipe. After using it for awhile I added a 12K winch to the truck and wound up extending the bumper outwards and welding in a mounting plate between the arms that bolted to the frame. I cut a hole thru both sides of the piping and installed a pair of roller fairleads (one on each side) Using two fairleads worked out well and I never had a problem with it. I had to move the bumper itself out close to 2' to have enough clearance for the winch, but like i said with the two fairleads I never had any sort of problem with it. with something *less* than 4" thick I'd think you could get away with a single roller fairlead but it would really depend on the design.

OP
OP
H

Hop's Bronco

Reaction score
After rereading my post I think I should Be a little clearer on my idea.... I am going to use the stock bumper and mount the winch between the frame rails right underneath the radiator.... I plan to back the bumper up of course.... Something like this......

FordSemiHid.jpg

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Wow, on a 96' ? Nice freaking ride, but truth be told I'd be surprised if you could do something like that without flipping the winch upside down or something like that. Have you actually SEEN a 10K or 12K winch ? They're not small and packaging something like that *between* the framerails and *under* the radiator will be like pulling one **** of a rabbit out of your a$$. I've mounted afew of them, granted I've also never spent the $$$ on a purpose built bumper or mount so maybe someone out there sells some magic but I think doing what you want will be quite the smoke & mirrow show. If you run across a bracket or bumper that works pls post a link.

89eddie89

Reaction score
The green bronco has the winch hidden well..

What is the least amount of money I would spend on buying a 12k winch??

OP
OP
H

Hop's Bronco

Reaction score
Thanks RK that is what i was looking for to the T...... The only thing is they both look a little smaller than the warn 10,000 i have now. So I just I am going to try and see if I can get some of that magic that BB78 was talking about....lol... thanks

Tennessee Jed

Reaction score
Thanks for starting this thread and the great responses! I have been wanting to do a receiver hitch on my front end and was under the impression that nothing could be attached to the accordion crimps at the front of the frame now I that I see how it is done for a winch, I think I could apply that method for my hitch.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david@holycitytransportat