Help close to home

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I think it would be a good idea . If people would post their state and area. So they could get in contact with other members and help one another. Like say within a 100 miles distance. Help working on the bronco or parts wise. Some people can understand a person better looking at them--instead of trying to communicating over the phone or internet. Like me---at times I have tried to help someone on hear and felt if we lived closed. I,d get in the vehicle and drive their. I live in south eastern West Virginia and about 100 miles from the Va border. Anyone live close to me?

paul rondelli

Reaction score
Work (Monday through Friday) in east Tennessee (outside Knoxville)

Homestead (Suburb) just North of Atlanta Georgia

I did some white water rafting on the upper and lower Gauley river in West Virginia. BEST RAFTING EAST OF THE ROCKIES ..... during the fall draw down.

OP
OP
J

johnnyreb

Reaction score

I did some white water rafting on the upper and lower Gauley river in West Virginia. BEST RAFTING EAST OF THE ROCKIES ..... during the fall draw down.
You were about 40 miles from me. I have a friend that used to take people down New river. Big guy buy the name of Jack Massey.

OP
OP
J

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Back in 81 I lived in Pigeon Forge and worked on the west side of Knoxville. Cut tobacco on my friends parents farm. Beside the interstate--that comes off to head to Seiverville. Hot weather and didn,t care for the traffic. Liked the women though.haha

OP
OP
J

johnnyreb

Reaction score

Part of the Gauley is about 8 miles from me. If you were at Craigsville or Curtin Bridge--you was in my neck of the woods.

paul rondelli

Reaction score
Yup

Really enjoyed that whole area. Now I'm up in east Tenn. and only 30 miles from wind rock. The long term plan is to turn this place into an Airbnb tailoring to outdoor adventurers.
I will probably start a little guide service and offer folks the options to go rafting down the Obed/ Hiking in frozen head/ or playing around in my Bronco at Windrock.

I really enjoy the outdoors

OP
OP
J

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Yup

Really enjoyed that whole area. Now I'm up in east Tenn. and only 30 miles from wind rock. The long term plan is to turn this place into an Airbnb tailoring to outdoor adventurers.
I will probably start a little guide service and offer folks the options to go rafting down the Obed/ Hiking in frozen head/ or playing around in my Bronco at Windrock.

I don,t care about the guideing. I tried explaining things to a couple of dumb-ass,s and gave up. Set this guy on a stand early one morning and toold him to not leave. If he shot a deer--do not try and track it. We have white outs hear and I,d be close buy. That evening we got back together and he told me he started to walk over to the top of that. Pointed at a mountain top. I asked him did he know the distance to the top of that mountain and he didn. I told him he was about 12 from it and more then likely he would have gotten lost and if a white out hit--he may have lost his life. Outdoors is something to take serious and tragedy can happen real quick. Listen and pay attention to the people who knows the land . They will get you back out safely.

Motech

Reaction score
Funny, I've already fielded some Bronco work from a man who found some of my input here on a Google search.

Be that, my business is called Motech located in Santa Cruz, CA. I specialize in electrical, emissions and driveability diagnosis with a strong professional emphasis on Ford, but still old-school enough to take on classics and carburetors.

Google me.

paul rondelli

Reaction score
I don,t care about the guideing. I tried explaining things to a couple of dumb-ass,s and gave up. Set this guy on a stand early one morning and toold him to not leave. If he shot a deer--do not try and track it. We have white outs hear and I,d be close buy. That evening we got back together and he told me he started to walk over to the top of that. Pointed at a mountain top. I asked him did he know the distance to the top of that mountain and he didn. I told him he was about 12 from it and more then likely he would have gotten lost and if a white out hit--he may have lost his life. Outdoors is something to take serious and tragedy can happen real quick. Listen and pay attention to the people who knows the land . They will get you back out safely.

Mother nature is nothing to be messed with. She will humble even the most experienced person.

Most folks don't get it .... and they try and "ride out" Hurricanes with 155 mph winds because they are afraid all their toys might get stolen.

OP
OP
J

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Mother nature is nothing to be messed with. She will humble even the most experienced person.

Most folks don't get it .... and they try and "ride out" Hurricanes with 155 mph winds because they are afraid all their toys might get stolen.
I,ve never been in a hurricane. I did ride out a typhone on the beach in a tower. In Quin Nhon,Viet Nam in 71. Water was up around it. Part of what service personnal go through each day. To protect our freedom. I respect them alot.Me and a good friend (Ralph Hodge ) from Kodak,Tennessee and a little dog.

OP
OP
J

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Yup

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Johnny, we now live in Folsom, NJ after living in Coronado., California for many years while I was in the
U. S..Navy..
Most of the time I was at the Naval Amphibious Base, Coronado (NAB); while my much better half taught school in San Diego..
My tour of duty was interrupted during a deployment that caused me to be treated at Naval Hospital San Diego, then I was transferred to Naval Hospital, Philadelphia, PA for a long stay due to a knee injury.
Then I was an out patient there while I was stationed at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard where I inspected electrical equipment on the USS Clamagore submarine, followed by many other submarines and ships after which i was medically discharged.
I then served the Navy in various civiilan positions in Philadelphia from 1967 through year 2000.

OP
OP
J

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Johnny, we now live in Folsom, NJ after living in Coronado., California for many years while I was in the
U. S..Navy..
Most of the time I was at the Naval Amphibious Base, Coronado (NAB); while my much better half taught school in San Diego..
My tour of duty was interrupted during a deployment that caused me to be treated at Naval Hospital San Diego, then I was transferred to Naval Hospital, Philadelphia, PA for a long stay due to a knee injury.
Then I was an out patient there while I was stationed at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard where I inspected electrical equipment on the USS Clamagore submarine, followed by many other submarines and ships after which i was medically discharged.
I then served the Navy in various civiilan positions in Philadelphia from 1967 through year 2000.

OP
OP
J

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I got discharged from the army in Oakland,Ca . after coming back from Viet Nam. I was out about 4 years and no one would give me a job. So I tried going back in the army. They wouldn,t accept me because I was a high school drop out. So I tried the air force--same story. So I called the marine-sure they would. I took their test and physical and the day I was to take the oath. I was sitting in the affes lounge watch the news / With all the other people going into different branches. This marine walks up and changes the channel and said when your in the marines .You watch this every morning. ****** me and alot of people off. So he walks off.--then returns and shouts out a name.No one moved. He walks off--comes back and shouts out my name. I held up my hand and he said "Your in the U.S.Marines . Now from now on when I say something to you.You jump 10 ft in the air--understand me !!. So FOLLOWED HIM INTO HIS OFFICE AND HE REPEATED HIMSELF. Then I looked at him and told him to hold it--and asked him if he saw me raise my right hand and take a oath? He said it didn,t matter. So I looked at him and told him the **** it didn,t ---it matters alot. Then I looked around to my left acroos the hall and saw this sailor at his desk--I turned back to the marine and told him--watch this. I went over to the sailor and asked him if I could talk to him about joining the navy He said sure--have a seat-now that is how I joined the navy and ****** off the marine. haha. I served 2 years under the osvet(other service veteran) program . I served a year on the U.S.S. Independence CV62 and about a year at Portsmouth and *** and NAS Norfolk,Va. Thank you for your service Al.

paul rondelli

Reaction score
Great story.

You give someone a little power.... and they think they can act like an ass.

The only time I was treated like that was at Parris Island. Their job is to break you down ... and they do it well.

Some ****** in a recruiting office who is a want to be Drill instructor..... is a joke.

When you arrive at Parris Island you spend a few days at a forming company. They give you gear... get you shots.... sign all your paperwork... then they ship you off to your platoon for training.

While in forming you get a Drill instructor. They usually aren't that bad ... since you only see them for a few days.

I had a pretty good one. While he was marching us to the chow hall .... he would make us repeat some general knowledge facts as a group.

His favorite was detailing the ways to assault and **** your enemy .... with the types of wounds you can afflict upon them.

Cut ..... Abrasion... Lacersion... blut force trama... Piercing.... yadda yadda yadda

After a few times of this.... One of the recruits goes to the front of the formation and tells him that he wants to go home. He stated that the Marines were just too violent for his liking. He packed his trash and was shipped out the next day.

What the **** was he thinking when he signed up for the Marines ... his recruiter must have feed him a real load of crap.

I will never forgot my time at AFFES before I shipped out to the island. The Marines were all over in the corner getting ready for our bus ride to the train station. Beside us a group of Air force recruits were getting ready for their bus ride.

Those cats had like two suitcases and back packs ..... all they allowed us to take to the Island was what we had on our back. I asked one of the air Force guys what he had in his suitcases? He said that he had his nice dress clothes so when he got liberty on the weekends he could go out and have fun in town ..... All the Maines just kind of looked at each and laughed. I'm sure that boot camp was REALLY rough.

OP
OP
J

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Great story.

You give someone a little power.... and they think they can act like an ass.

The only time I was treated like that was at Parris Island. Their job is to break you down ... and they do it well.

Some ****** in a recruiting office who is a want to be Drill instructor..... is a joke.

When you arrive at Parris Island you spend a few days at a forming company. They give you gear... get you shots.... sign all your paperwork... then they ship you off to your platoon for training.

While in forming you get a Drill instructor. They usually aren't that bad ... since you only see them for a few days.

I had a pretty good one. While he was marching us to the chow hall .... he would make us repeat some general knowledge facts as a group.

His favorite was detailing the ways to assault and **** your enemy .... with the types of wounds you can afflict upon them.

Cut ..... Abrasion... Lacersion... blut force trama... Piercing.... yadda yadda yadda

After a few times of this.... One of the recruits goes to the front of the formation and tells him that he wants to go home. He stated that the Marines were just too violent for his liking. He packed his trash and was shipped out the next day.

What the **** was he thinking when he signed up for the Marines ... his recruiter must have feed him a real load of crap.

I will never forgot my time at AFFES before I shipped out to the island. The Marines were all over in the corner getting ready for our bus ride to the train station. Beside us a group of Air force recruits were getting ready for their bus ride.

Those cats had like two suitcases and back packs ..... all they allowed us to take to the Island was what we had on our back. I asked one of the air Force guys what he had in his suitcases? He said that he had his nice dress clothes so when he got liberty on the weekends he could go out and have fun in town ..... All the Maines just kind of looked at each and laughed. I'm sure that boot camp was REALLY rough.

OP
OP
J

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Thanks for helping protect our country and freedom. I got orientation at Ft Jackson .Was their about a week--got shots,uniforms,signed alot of papers and was taught rank ,etc.The traveled buy bus to Ft Gordon,Ga. The bus stopped about 200 yards from the barracks. A DI jumped on the bus and started raiseing **** and telling us to get off of his bus. We fell over top one another getting off. Then they made us come to attention and told us we had 1 minute to make it to the barracks--he lied. The he shouted for us to get. We never made it half way their and he blowed a whistle and demanded us to get back and as soon as we got back,He told us we had 30 secondes to make it to the barracks. It was like that all the time.,BUT THEY TAUGHT US WE COULD TAKE ALOT OF STUFF--IN CASE WE WERE TAKEN POW. You had to be tough to go through what the pow,s went through and they also taught us--you --me and many others--how to survive. Thank you and ALL who have served and who are serving NOW.

ragtop69

Reaction score
Thanks for helping protect our country and freedom. I got orientation at Ft Jackson .Was their about a week--got shots,uniforms,signed alot of papers and was taught rank ,etc.The traveled buy bus to Ft Gordon,Ga. The bus stopped about 200 yards from the barracks. A DI jumped on the bus and started raiseing **** and telling us to get off of his bus. We fell over top one another getting off. Then they made us come to attention and told us we had 1 minute to make it to the barracks--he lied. The he shouted for us to get. We never made it half way their and he blowed a whistle and demanded us to get back and as soon as we got back,He told us we had 30 secondes to make it to the barracks. It was like that all the time.,BUT THEY TAUGHT US WE COULD TAKE ALOT OF STUFF--IN CASE WE WERE TAKEN POW. You had to be tough to go through what the pow,s went through and they also taught us--you --me and many others--how to survive. Thank you and ALL who have served and who are serving NOW.
After my "foreign travel" for the Army in the late 60's (I was an infantryman), I served as a D.I. at Ft. Ord, CA. Your memories of your experience as a trainee had me smiling. We were actually trying to train you guys in lots of things like military discipline, basic rifle marksmanship, drill and ceremonies, survival, escape and evasion and the ability to follow commands. We pushed you to expose you to your limits so you wouldn't fall apart in the face of the enemy. I always had to "cringe" when we graduated a company because they were little kids and I knew where they were going. I always wondered if we'd done a good enough job to keep them alive. I'm 78 years old now and I still think about those kids and wonder how they fared. Some of the cadre were sadists, but most of us were just trying to do the job and make soldiers out of you guys.

Last edited:

Landyr67g

Reaction score
Interesting reads from you older guys! I never served - my HS years were in the later '70s, it was a pretty sour time to enlist. That said, I had a lot of cars and fun up to when I got married at 45 years of age to a vietnamese woman 13 yrs younger. She came here when 19 so still has a lot thoughts in her brain different than mine, but our two boys are all 'mericanized playing traditional HS Sports. Right now there's both summer baseball practice for end of season stragglers, and 2nd week of summer FB practice getting ready for scrimmages and season start. Life in our family is give and take...sometimes frustrating, but also fun!
Joe M
Santa Clara, CA
'90 EB 5.8 with CA smog requirements....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msgsnprtom