Hanging my head

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryeder

Reaction score
Just venting right now. Went to replace the upper steering wheel bearing and found that approximately half the wires that are situated there were cut and just hanging. The clock spring looked like it had exploded. Murphy's Law...the 2nd issue is no fuel to the rail. Swapped relays and it fired up so I headed to town for a new relay. Put the new relay in and no problem. Next day...no fuel to the rail. Swapped relays again but still no fuel. No signs the pressure regulator faulty so I'm assuming it's the fuel pump. Any other possibilities?

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Most likely a fuel pump, but could be a bad ground, or even safety shut off switch. Really need to jumper the relay, crawl under there back by the tank with a test light to know for sure.

OP
OP
ryeder

ryeder

Reaction score
Most likely a fuel pump, but could be a bad ground, or even safety shut off switch. Really need to jumper the relay, crawl under there back by the tank with a test light to know for sure.
Relay is fine which leads me to assume the pump is not ok. Guess it's time to drop the tank. Thanks for the input, Tiha.

Motech

Reaction score
Check your other critical relay, the EEC Power Relay. If it does not power up, neither can the fuel pump relay.

Hint: If your "Check Engine" light does not illuminate Key On, Engine Off, it might be your EEC Power Relay.

OP
OP
ryeder

ryeder

Reaction score
T
Check your other critical relay, the EEC Power Relay. If it does not power up, neither can the fuel pump relay.

Hint: If your "Check Engine" light does not illuminate Key On, Engine Off, it might be your EEC Power Relay.
Thank ya, Motech. Will be the first thing I look at today.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo ryeder,
Having connectivity issues here, so FYI;

96 Bronco Fuel Pump Replacement by boss @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/threads/96-engine-died-now-it-runs.519705/page-3

When the ignition is switched to the ON position, it turns the EEC Power Relay on. The EEC Power Relay provides power to the EEC-V processor and the control side of the fuel pump relay. Power for the fuel pump is supplied through a fusible link to the starter solenoid (battery side). From the fusible link, current flow is through the fuel pump relay and Inertia Fuel Shutoff (IFS) switch to the fuel pump. The IFS switch is a safety device used to shut off the fuel pump in the event of a collision. If the IFS switch is "tripped," it must be reset by depressing the white or red button on the top of the switch. The fuel pump relay is controlled by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

When the ignition switch is turned to the ON position, the fuel pump will operate. If the ignition switch is not turned to the START position, the PCM will shut the fuel pump off after approximately one second. The PCM will operate the fuel pump when the ignition is in the START position to provide fuel while cranking.

After the engine starts, the PCM will continue to operate the fuel pump unless the engine stops, engine speed drops below 120 rpm, or the IFS switch is "tripped."

If Horn HONKS, swap Horn relay into FP RELAY SOCKET
  • Shake, wiggle, bend the B(+) circuit to the fuel pump relay.
  • Lightly tap the fuel pump relay to simulate road shock.
  • Shake, wiggle, bend the Power-to-Pump circuit between the fuel pump relay and the FPM splice.
  • Key off.
  • Inspect the fuel pump relay connector for corrosion, damaged pins, etc.

OP
OP
ryeder

ryeder

Reaction score
Thanks. I now have my morning planned. Actually, the way I do things... it'll be a all day project. I'm still hoping I don't have to drop the tank.

OP
OP
ryeder

ryeder

Reaction score
Thanks. I now have my morning planned. Actually, the way I do things... it'll be a all day project. I'm still hoping I don't have to drop the tank.

OP
OP
ryeder

ryeder

Reaction score
Yo ryeder,
Having connectivity issues here, so FYI;

96 Bronco Fuel Pump Replacement by boss @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/threads/96-engine-died-now-it-runs.519705/page-3

When the ignition is switched to the ON position, it turns the EEC Power Relay on. The EEC Power Relay provides power to the EEC-V processor and the control side of the fuel pump relay. Power for the fuel pump is supplied through a fusible link to the starter solenoid (battery side). From the fusible link, current flow is through the fuel pump relay and Inertia Fuel Shutoff (IFS) switch to the fuel pump. The IFS switch is a safety device used to shut off the fuel pump in the event of a collision. If the IFS switch is "tripped," it must be reset by depressing the white or red button on the top of the switch. The fuel pump relay is controlled by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

When the ignition switch is turned to the ON position, the fuel pump will operate. If the ignition switch is not turned to the START position, the PCM will shut the fuel pump off after approximately one second. The PCM will operate the fuel pump when the ignition is in the START position to provide fuel while cranking.

After the engine starts, the PCM will continue to operate the fuel pump unless the engine stops, engine speed drops below 120 rpm, or the IFS switch is "tripped."

If Horn HONKS, swap Horn relay into FP RELAY SOCKET
  • Shake, wiggle, bend the B(+) circuit to the fuel pump relay.
  • Lightly tap the fuel pump relay to simulate road shock.
  • Shake, wiggle, bend the Power-to-Pump circuit between the fuel pump relay and the FPM splice.
  • Key off.
  • Inspect the fuel pump relay connector for corrosion, damaged pins, etc.
It was the pump. Changed it out and it fired up. Thanks for all the info...

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Glad you got it going.

Always hard to troubleshoot your own stuff. Seems so simple now doesn't it? But I am sure it didn't at the time.

OP
OP
ryeder

ryeder

Reaction score
Glad you got it going.

Always hard to troubleshoot your own stuff. Seems so simple now doesn't it? But I am sure it didn't at the time.
I agree. Diagnosing problems is probably my weakest point. Guess I should of been trained in mechanical work along with auto body. Back then, greasy engines couldn't come close to restoring a vehicle and shooting on color. Of course back then, it was no or very few pre-made body panels and lacquer paint. Real old school. Lots have changed since then.

OP
OP
ryeder

ryeder

Reaction score

Good information...thanks

OP
OP
ryeder

ryeder

Reaction score
Update: shot the Bronco an original silver frost, and shot the topper with Rhino liner. Now all I need is an inspection sticker and doing a road trip to Maine for a test drive...IMG_20221123_124020.jpg

chrlsful

Reaction score
dont forget a local 'shake down cruze' if going ona long trip and just gettin a 'car' together. I regularly do an hr trip 1st (no more simple dailies for a wk or 2) on anything I'm rest0modin, sellin or otherwise.

The trip? from where to ME (& that's our biggest state "up heyah")?

OP
OP
ryeder

ryeder

Reaction score
Already worked out some kinks with a couple short runs. From Littleton NH to Canton, ME. Ayah, Maine is a wicked big state.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danno