No compression after head gasket change on my 79 400 engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

winger4647

Reaction score
When I went to reset my TDC I hooked up my compression tester to #1 and found NO COMPRESSION. Next one down the line was zero also. Yanked the valve cover and all is going up and down fine. Pumping oil up to top also. Have not done all the cylinders yet, too freakin cold. Anyone ever have this issue after a head gasket change? I used Fel-Pro and followed directions. Maybe squirt a little oil down each cylinder? This is turning out to be a nightmare.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo winger,
Off the top of my own head,
Compression Readings — Interpreting

It is recommended the Compression Pressure Limit Chart be used when checking cylinder compression so that the lowest reading number is 75 percent of the highest reading.

If one or more cylinders reads low, squirt approximately one 1.5 ml (1 tablespoon) of SAE 50 weight or equivalent engine oil on top of the pistons in the low reading cylinders. Repeat compression pressure check on these cylinders.

1. If compression improves considerably, piston rings are at fault.
  1. If compression does not improve, valves are sticking or seating poorly.
  1. ●If two adjacent cylinders indicate low compression pressures and squirting oil on pistons does not increase compression, cause may be a cylinder head gasket leak between cylinders. Engine oil and/or coolant in cylinders could result from this problem.
This is by Ford.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I would actually be question the compression tester at this point.

My try it on a lawnmower or something with easy access just to test the operation?

Usually you see a needle bounce or something but I have certainly had my share of bad ones.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Also if the compression gauge does work out good. Compare the old gasket to the new one. My dad and I ran into that one time. Come to find out. The parts store sold us the WRONG GASKET. Good luck.

OP
OP
winger4647

winger4647

Reaction score
Thought I should end this thread with the final results. I used the guide for adjusting the valves which was the same in both copies of manuals I have. What I found was the heads are not original or at least the rockers are not they are the cheap rollers (that is what I call them) and require a different method or EO/IC. What I found was the valves were way too tight and not able to close. After adjusting properly all is well. Appreciate the comments from everyone.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Thought I should end this thread with the final results. I used the guide for adjusting the valves which was the same in both copies of manuals I have. What I found was the heads are not original or at least the rockers are not they are the cheap rollers (that is what I call them) and require a different method or EO/IC. What I found was the valves were way too tight and not able to close. After adjusting properly all is well. Appreciate the comments from everyone.
Good to hear that .Thanks for telling us too.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane