Grease on wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burns

Reaction score
My front right wheel has grease on it, and I'm sure it's from the hub. The screws on the manual hub are tight, and I suspect it might be a warped bearing/race or something along those lines. Haven't wheeled it, haven't hit anything, and the only thing I've done to that wheel is a new tire and a new caliper.

Thanks.

OP
OP
B

Burns

Reaction score
Your axleshaft seal is perhaps bad.
Late getting back to this, been a helluva mess. Neither my Hanes nor Chilton have a section for it. Is it accessed through the hubs, like when servicing the manual hubs, or does it require the shafts to come out?

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
You will need to pull the rotor/ hub off, and see if the grease is leaking thru that seal or from inside the spindle.

In my Haynes manual, the wheel (rotor/hub) seal replacement is listed in section 8-26, or see the diagram no. 23.2 on page 8-20.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

Burns

Reaction score
Steve83 said:
Where exactly is the grease: inboard or out? Click my black Bronco in my sig & read the captions in the Brakes & Hubs album.
It's on the outside of the wheel, facing the street. It's coming out of where the manual hub cap meets the extention that goes through the wheel.

You will need to pull the rotor/ hub off, and see if the grease is leaking thru that seal or from inside the spindle.

In my Haynes manual, the wheel (rotor/hub) seal replacement is listed in section 8-26, or see the diagram no. 23.2 on page 8-20.

Awesome dude. That's exactly what I needed. I was looking in the index for axle seal and didn't see front and didn't see what I needed under front suspention/axle.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

Burns

Reaction score
Steve83 said:
Where exactly is the grease: inboard or out? Click my black Bronco in my sig & read the captions in the Brakes & Hubs album.

That is an IMMENSE help. It's good seeing skematics and printouts, but it's another thing entirely to see the real deal with all the dirt and grease like in real life.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
If the cap on the hub is leaking, you might need to replace the rubber O-ring or gasket on the cap itself. Silicone or Permatex may also work.

OP
OP
B

Burns

Reaction score
If the cap on the hub is leaking, you might need to replace the rubber O-ring or gasket on the cap itself. Silicone or Permatex may also work.
I'm gonna try that first. If all it is is that, then I'm in much better shape than I thought.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK