gauge backlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kohlberg

Reaction score
I have a 78 Bronco and the dash lights quit working on it including the turn signals. They don't light up but the turn signals do work. Can all the bulbs burn out at once? or is it the printed circuit board. Any help would be appreciated.

Foul Al

Reaction score
I have a 78 Bronco and the dash lights quit working on it including the turn signals. They don't light up but the turn signals do work. Can all the bulbs burn out at once? or is it the printed circuit board. Any help would be appreciated.
I am having a similar issue! I have all the back-up lights but the gear selector as well as the high beam signal lights? I have replaced the bulbs as necessary but they still blow or just stop working....? I hope there are some people that have had good success with this issue!

Seabronc

Reaction score
I think you are going to have to get a meter and see if you have 12V at the light socket with the light switch on. If not, check back at the switch. From what I can find for a 78/79 Bronco, the circuit breaker is located at the light switch.

Good luck,

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:

BUCKIN'94WFO

Reaction score
IF I'm not mistaken all of those lights are powered through the headlight/panel dimmer switch which is a rheostat type of switch. You COULD possibly have issues within the switch itself if the headlights/runnin' lights all work through the light switch but NOT the dash panel. YA follow me? If pullin' the switch shaft out makes your head and runnin' lights work but turnin' the shaft clockwise OR counterclockwise doesn't affect the panel lights then you're losin' power OR ground in it somewhere. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it's a bad switch either just because of that fact. Sometimes, over the course of 20 or 30 years, us old things crust up a little bit- and just need a little scrubbin' to get all the dust and funk off!
whistle.gif
If you've already removed the switch and tried cleanin' off the rheostat coil- then disregard everything I've just said and find out what's wrong with your panel lights then let the rest of us know something. Check the resistance over the dimmer coil to make sure there aint a brake in the winding wire. The fact that your turn signals work but not their respective indicators on the dash panel is what sounds intriguing. I just can't remember if mine dimmed with the rest of the panel lights when told to. I don't "think" they're supposed to? Turn signals have their own dedicated circuit, being safety items and all. It could be something as simple as pullin' each fuse and cleanin' it's socket AND ends then stickin' 'em back in the fuse panel. Try one at time and see if that traces it down. At least that method don't cost ya anything -initially. Or like SeaB said- get out a DVM and start pinnin' each fuse end to locate a possible dead hole that way. There's a number of ways to get to the root-just start diggin' is how I get there.
peace.gif

79f350

Reaction score
Also,pull a few bulbs out of the back of the cluster and check for "flaking" or white chunks coming off.Its very common for the clusters to dry up and come apart making it tough to get a good contact between the bulbs and the circuit board.Good Luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23