Gas Cap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bronco_Huey

Reaction score
I have a gas cap that is obviously not the right one, it just slides right off. My question is how does this affect perfomance or what effect does it have when the cap is not sealed. I know newer cars will have the check engine light come on if the gas cap is not sealing etc. Why?

Teacher said there is no such thing as a stupid question :-B So dont flame me! :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

bluesman17

Spam Terminator
Reaction score
The only thing i can think of is maybe make the fuel pump work harder because of less pressurization and possibly more contaminants getting in.

Shadow_D

Reaction score
Teacher said there is no such thing as a stupid question  :-B   So dont flame me!  :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
The only dumb question is the one that isn't asked.

With the fuel cap on and sealed on newer cars and trucks it creates a vacuum in the tank that the computer reads and fuel pump needs. It should be sealed on your truck because there are fumes that will escape from the tank. These fumes are extremely flammable Any spark (even a cigarette from a passing motorist) will most likely ignite them causing your truck to burn up.

I transport gasoline for a living and being a past firefighter I know the outcome of this type of situation.

I suggest you get to your local auto parts store and get the correct cap for your truck.

STLKIKN

Reaction score
Older vehicles had vented gas caps to allow the release of fuel vapors to the atmosphere when the fuel tanks warmed up. These vehicles had fuel tanks that could be filled to their capacity right up to the gas cap!

All new(er) vehicles have a vapor recovery system (charcoal cannister) included in their emissions systems. These vehicles have non vented caps and an expansion area in the tank that allows for storage of fuel vapors. (you know how when the gas pump shuts off and you can add five or ten dollars more fuel.... thats the expansion area being filled)

Some of the newer vehicles even have a vacuum system that turns on when the gas cap is removed from the vehicle. (such as when re fueling)

Newer systems will set a code and then turn on the check engine light if the gas cap is left off.

20% of all automobile emissions (pollution) come from un burned hydro carbons (fuel vapors),

the newer systems are designed to limit the amount of those hydrocarbons that are released to the atmosphere.

Last edited by a moderator:

Desert Donk

Reaction score
Here in AZ, at least in the Phx area where annual emissions inspections must be done a bad gas cap would cause you to fail. Even one in good enough condition to keep the engine lights from going on would fail. Part of the inspection is to remove the cap and put it on a machine. Even very slight cracks in the gasket will net you a 'fail' until you replace it.

stinger

Reaction score
Here in AZ, at least in the Phx area where annual emissions inspections must be done a bad gas cap would cause you to fail. Even one in good enough condition to keep the engine lights from going on would fail. Part of the inspection is to remove the cap and put it on a machine. Even very slight cracks in the gasket will net you a 'fail' until you replace it.
That is a fact i failed my emissions in Mesa,AZ first for what was comin out the pipes then on the retest failed cause of the gas cap . man i was ****** they could have checked that cap the first time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23