Cap with sliding windows....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wishmeluck

Reaction score
Hey all. I picked up this parts bronco the other day and it looks to have factory sliding windows in the cap. The seals look ok and dont appear to leak, but the window felt is looking pretty old and nasty. I'm debating on whether or not to swap tops for the sliders but Im also concerned with the availability of seals/felt in the future. I've been searching but haven't been able to find a source for replacements. Does anyone happen to know of a place that sells them or if theres something non-OEM that will work as a replacement?

Thanks

parts bronco.jpg

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I went through this a few years ago, we tried to match some up. JCWhitney actually had a bunch of differnet sizes but nothing that matched perfectly.

In the end a local glass supplier. Not a big chain store, The guys were able to match something very close to it.

If you get some dimensions, with the internet now it might be much easier to find. But I haven't seen any kits, or exact replacements.

I have power sliders and that has been my fear as well, but so far they have been holding up great.

chrlsful

Reaction score
any of the doz 'typical bronk vendors'. They started w/the EB & now later models R catchin on they make $ there tooo.
More expensive than the big box stores (Roc, AutoZone). Might B beddah quality.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,
For posterity and to search for possible sources:

REMOVABLE ROOF PANEL SEALS Diagrams, 78-96 w/Ford part numbers;
D8TZ-9851322-A Removable Roof Front Seal On fiberglass roof;

D8TZ-98513C22-PR Removable Roof Side Panel Seals on 78-79;

D8TZ-9854732-A Front Roof Rear Seal on metal roof on 78-79;

E1TZ-98422A20-A Back Window Glass Lower Side Run, RH or LH on 78-96

Source: by bwautoparts.com via web.archive.org
http://web.archive.org/web/200603171...at2003.062.htm

p61roofsidepanelseals.jpg

johnnyreb

Reaction score
A few years ago. I bought a set--I think off of Jeff, s bronco. I haven,t even taken them out of the plastic. If I,m not mistaken. They were made buy Dennis Carpenter.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I went through this a few years ago, we tried to match some up. JCWhitney actually had a bunch of differnet sizes but nothing that matched perfectly.

In the end a local glass supplier. Not a big chain store, The guys were able to match something very close to it.

If you get some dimensions, with the internet now it might be much easier to find. But I haven't seen any kits, or exact replacements.

I have power sliders and that has been my fear as well, but so far they have been holding up great.
Those power slider must be hard to find. I never knew about them. Does it also have controls for them on the drivers side panel or only each slider?

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Those power slider must be hard to find. I never knew about them. Does it also have controls for them on the drivers side panel or only each slider?
I took pictures of the install but I can't find them. Mine were used, without controls.

I took two relays, because you have to reverse polarity, one direction open, other for closing.
I ran the relays with momentary SPDT rocker switches I put in my overhead console.

They are not the smoothest operating ever but they do work. If you don't cycle them every couple of months the grease gets stiff and the windows will stick.

If you can imagine a cable attached to the window that you have to hide under the trim and mount the motor behind the side panel in the rear. That was the hardest part. To not destroy the interior and make it look decent. The motor looks like a standard power window motor.

I can't even find pictures online of the power sliders. Dang maybe more rare than i realized.

But they look just like these from the outside. These are manual sliders. I was worried about water leakage and noise but so far so good.

Attachments

• dscn1961.jpg
    dscn1961.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 2

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I took pictures of the install but I can't find them. Mine were used, without controls.

I took two relays, because you have to reverse polarity, one direction open, other for closing.
I ran the relays with momentary SPDT rocker switches I put in my overhead console.

They are not the smoothest operating ever but they do work. If you don't cycle them every couple of months the grease gets stiff and the windows will stick.

If you can imagine a cable attached to the window that you have to hide under the trim and mount the motor behind the side panel in the rear. That was the hardest part. To not destroy the interior and make it look decent. The motor looks like a standard power window motor.

I can't even find pictures online of the power sliders. Dang maybe more rare than i realized.

But they look just like these from the outside. These are manual sliders. I was worried about water leakage and noise but so far so good.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I,m hoping to take mine out next week I started buying stuff for both bronco,s about 15 years ago and it wasn,t cheap then,but its done . Now I have to start on the other one and buy some parts for my pick and fairlane. I have too many projects. haha It takes ingenuity to figure out some things. I have been thinking about ways to help increase mileage and came up with one . The new vehicles have nothing on the model t. Plus they were alot easier to fix. The same thing done to the model t could be used on a later mode.Without electronic and alot easier to figure out and less parts.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK