Fuel Tank Switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frog

Reaction score
I have a '77 Bronco 302 automatic power steering power brakes with 650 holley. I am having trouble with the switch for my fuel tanks and the gauges don't work. Is there a way to tell which tank I am running off of in what position? Also both tanks can be FULL and in 1 position it won't crank no gas. Probably dumb question but gotta start somewhere. Be nice I'm a chick.....

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi Frog.., welcome..!!

Welll, I'll try to be nice.... >:D< <'>

There's two settings...

1 is on the dash (toggle switch). It reads the level only in the tanks, depending if set on one of these;

MAIN..(approx. 14 gal.)

Aux. ..(approx. 8 gal.)

2 is below the driver seat (at your heels) (tank change-over handle) which actually determines which tank is supplying fuel.

IF the tanks are full.., & one won't feed fuel (assuming the handle was turned) the line is plugged or disconnected.

There should be only one gauge & if that's not reading on either tank.., there's likely a wire off on the back of the toggle switch. However, we can deal with the tests for that later on, after the tank feed issue is solved.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
F

Frog

Reaction score
Yes, I have been changing the switch at my feet. It won't crank off of the main tank but will crank on the auxillary tank. The guage doesn't work on either tank. I had someone look at it and he said "you just ran it out of gas" Nope Shugah it's FULL. Not sure why it is annoying me so but I want both tanks to work cause I am a threat to run something out of gas <_<

I only see 1 fuel pump. Should there be 2? I just don't get it.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
"It won't crank off of the main tank but will crank on the auxillary tank."

By crank, I'm assuming you mean "start" or "run", meaning the eng. (not the valve handle).?

If memory serves, there's 3 positions on the fuel delivery valve. Main, auxiliary., and off.

This valve is the goofiest thing Ford put on these rigs. As I recall, the handle points to the tank in use (see photo above) not the 'lil pointer.

Soooo., you need to be sure it's the aux. tank that's feeding fuel correctly. RU having to add fuel to the aux. tank during days of use..?

"Not sure why it is annoying me so but I want both tanks to work"

This would/should annoy anyone so you're not alone.

In an open area (not in a garage) someone can pull the fuel line off of the main tank...., there should be fuel runn'n out of the line (assuming the tank is full). If so.., the tank is clear & the problem/restriction may be at the switch-over valve itself. You can pull the "OUTLET" hose off the valve & see if fuel runs out. If not.., the valve is plugged or there is a restriction in the feed line runn'n from the main tank, to the valve.

"I only see 1 fuel pump. Should there be 2?"

No..., 1 engine driven fuel pump sucks from whichever tank the valve is set to.

OP
OP
F

Frog

Reaction score
Yes crank means start run engine go go voooom vooom :))

Yes, I'm having to put gas in the rear small tank while the main front tank just stays full. It will not take on any more fuel.

I haven't really paid a lot of attention.....are there 2 lines from rear small tank? (My 1978 TransAm has a return fuel line) Sorry may be another dumb question. I haven't seen fuel lines running to under where the tank switch is.....but then again I haven't crawled my happy butt up in under there all the way either. Will there be lines to it?

Sorry it is irking me to death. :wacko:

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
"Sorry it is irking me to death"

No need..., we'll help you thru this when/where we can.

Good to see you have a "sense of humor"...., That's rare., & especially when one is having problems... :((

FIRST...!!

"I'm having to put gas in the rear small tank while the main front tank just stays full."

THIS IS BACKWARDS The auxiliary (8gal) tank is under your "butt" ... the "MAIN" tank is in the rear & it's 14-15 gal.

Soooooooo..., you're (now) feeding fuel off the main tank. Your problem is with the small Aux. tank.

"I haven't really paid a lot of attention."

Well now, it's time to start...!!! ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :-B :D/ There are no "dumb" questions. :)>-

Ea. tank will have a "feed" line. Some yrs. also have a vent/return line not a fuel return line. (that's usually on a fuel injected vehicle)

"I haven't seen fuel lines running to under where the tank switch is.....Will there be lines to it?"

There WILL be a fuel feed line fr. ea. tank to the switch-over valve.... or at least there should be ., if the PO didn't remove it/them.

Use the term "switch" for electrical .... use "valve" for fuel tank selector handle for changing fuel delivery...

(The switch is on the dash.., the "valve" is at your heels) ..., then we'll all be on the same page... >:D< <'>

-------- (OVER) ------

Bronc76

Reaction score
BB, you are correct, in the pic, the handle does point to the correct tank, not the pointer...,

Frog- just making sure you are reading it correct... should've clarified.

Bronc76

Reaction score
If memory serves me right, the only way to see the fuel lines that run to and from tank switch is to pull the aux. tank. Probably won't hurt to pull tank to inspect lines and to see if they are indeed still there. (might need replacing anyway)

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi 76.., thanks...

Unless they changed the routing in later yrs.., the fuel line, from the rear main tank, runs along the inboard side of the frame.., & the valve is just above the inboard side of the frame.

The side/aux. tank should be on the outboard side of the frame. It's fuel line (& sender wires) should run from the back of the tank up to & over the frame, to the valve.

BTW.., the brake line is likely runn'n alongside the fuel line there on the inboard side of the frame.

OP
OP
F

Frog

Reaction score
Okkie Dokkie Folks! Here's where I am...

Found single fuel line running from "back rear "MAIN"" tank and got not too far cause couldn't see it without doing more work..... (Missy was getting frustrated)

BUT did skip over and look at other tank....Single Fuel line from the front tank "auxillary" tank is.....ummmm crimped aka jacked up right after it leaves the tank....So now I know where the problem is (well I think) I need to replace that fuel line. Also explains gas smell (yep I'm now a genius)

Won't happen this weekend have Race for the Cure (I'm a 7 year survivor :)>- ) and I'm tired of smelling like gas. [-(

Ummmm.....one more question ??? I see these post on fuel tank shouldn't there be wires going to it? But fuel pump isn't electrical....so ?

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
(I'm a 7 year survivor)

congratulations...!!!!

WOW...! that's a sharp look'n rig. Hard to believe the PO would buggar up anything on that.

"I see these post on fuel tank shouldn't there be wires going to it? But fuel pump isn't electrical....so ?"

We assume all is stock (W/O pics) so, there should be a ground wire & a sending unit wire coming out of the tank sending unit/fuel pick-up. The sending unit wire runs to the "switch" on the dash. This is true for both tanks.

"Found single fuel line running from "back rear "MAIN"" tank and got not too far cause couldn't see it without doing more work."

No real need to see the whole line as long as it's not leaking. The point at which it mates to the "valve" should be looked at. (Likely a clamped on short rubber hose.)

BTW.., if you replace any of the rubber hoses.., use only "GOOD QUALITY", no Chineeeee stuff.

If you need to de-fuel that aux. tank.., do it "outside"...., actually all fuel line work should/must be done outside..!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigd1948