Fuel Relay Switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83Bronco

Reaction score
So today i put in a new gas tank on my 83 bronco. It started fine with a gallon or 2 of gas in it, then about 2 minutes later it stopped running. And wouldnt restart. When i turn the key to the on position i cant hear the fuel pump buzzing or an ything. Does this mean i have to press the fuel relay? and where is that at? what else could keep it from starting? it cranks...but doesnt get going. thanks for any advice. i really need my truck to run!!!

~Sarah

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
I think on your 83 Bronco, there is no electric fuel pump or relays and no buzzing sound, that's only on EFI or fuel-injected motors. The fuel pump is mechanical, meaning that the turning of the engine draws fuel from the tank. It is a major task to replace the tank, so give yourself a pat on the back for doing that. Just check to be sure you connected the lines right, and that you are getting fuel to the pump on the side of the motor. If you have gas at the pump but not at the carb, then the pump is bad.

Shadow_D

Reaction score
I know you said you have about 2 gallons of fuel in the tank but try putting another three or four gallons in then try it again. The fuel pickup sits about an inch or two off the bottom of the tank so it might not be getting the fuel.

If you have plenty of fuel in the tank then check for fuel at the pump like justshootme84 says. Also did you replace the filter?

OP
OP

83Bronco

Reaction score
ok, i wasnt sure that it had an electrci fuel pump or not. No i didnt replace the filter. I will add some more gas today, then try it out. How do i check for fuel at the pump? and do you mean the pump ounted on the frame rail? or the one in the tank. Its gonna be difficult b/c i dont have accsess to a lift of any sort until next week (im on spring break, and the broncos at school!) thanks for your replys.

~sarah

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
83B, your fuel pump is located on the engine, just trace the fuel line from the carburetor back to it.

If you are going to do work like this on the Bronco, it is a very good idea to buy a repair manual. "Haynes Repair Manual for Ford Pick-ups & Bronco 1980-1996" is the one you want, and it's only about $15 at any auto parts store like NAPA, Pep Boys, AUtoZone, etc. If you can't find a Haynes manual, there is a lso one from Chilton.

These manuals will explain in detail and with pictures how to chekc things like the fuel pump, troubleshoot most problems, and offer general info on your specific year model Bronco. I learn from it everytime I open mine up!!!

OP
OP

83Bronco

Reaction score
i actaully just bought the chiltons today. I think im just not getting fuel to the engine... and i dont reall y have any equipment to test it or fix it. but i may try. thanks though

~sarah

OP
OP

83Bronco

Reaction score
I replaced the fuel filter and blew compressed air through the fuel lines with no luck. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> it sucks to have nothing to drive :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> i just figure we got something hooked up wrong above the tank. i just have to wait till school starts again to check that out. i swear this ha s happened to me about every couple months. so i just hope that nothing is seriously wrong! [-o< also... if a vehicle is sagging in the rear end does that mean you have to replace the leaf springs? and is that a very difficult job?? thanks for any info!

Sarah

G

Replacing the rear leaf springs isn't a terrible hard job. Do you plan on getting new leafs or just getting your old ones redone.

OP
OP

83Bronco

Reaction score
im pretty sure i need new leaf springs, mine are all rusty and the pads are falling off, ,and they are just bad. i heard you have to take off the rear axle though.. sounds hard to me ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP

83Bronco

Reaction score
sounds good! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> no more sagging rear end! every one always makes the projects i have sound harder then they are. but i will trust your expertise over my friends, since you own a bronco and they dont. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23