Fuel Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sully

Reaction score
Having problems with 77 f-150. Truck has been sitting for two years, and I'm trying to get in running again. Just replaced part of a fuel line that was leaking. THe truck will start and run if I pour has in the carb. But it eventually dies. Can't seem to figure out the problem, but doesn't seem to be getting fuel to the carb. I pulled out the fuel pump, but it seems to be alright. I think I will replace it just to be sure. Does anyone have any other ideas as to why fuel doesn't seem to be reaching the carb, and the truck won't stay running. I'm running out of ideas, and would love to get the truck running for my husband. Thanks

freak

Reaction score
I would replace the fuel filter first if that dosen't help then the pump and start working your way back to the tank.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Ditto on the filter. You can leave your hose disconnected and crank it over to see if the pump is pushing gas. You should get a pretty good spout of gas comming out of the line.

You can try blowing back thru the fuel line to see if there is a restriction between the point where it attaches to the pump and the tank. You should be able to hear bubbles if you leave the cap off the tank. An old tank can have a lot of crap in it that could get stuck in the pickup.

Good Luck,

OP
OP
S

sully

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. But I have a question... Which fuel filter should I replace? I have four of them. One at the carb. one at the distribution valve. and then one at each of the two tanks.

Ziggy

Reaction score
Replace them all. You may have some water in your tanks as well. Since water floats on gas, you'll be sucking water off the bottom of the tank until you get rid of it all. Depending on how much water you have (if you have it), you can add alcohol to the tanks and this will help break up the water.

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
If you have two tanks, it could be the fuel selector switch. I had the same problem not to long back.

I'm also wondering if the truck has been sitting? If so add a gas additive called "Heet" which will evaporate any water in the tank. The tanks could be clogged at the pick up if the filter changes don't help. If you run a mechanical fuel pump, you can pull off one line at a time and feel for suction on one side and gas will spray out the other one. Watchout for gas in the eyes! It will sting for a few minutes... If its an electric pump, disconnect the hose just after the pump and see if its flowing. b-(

Seabronc

Reaction score
I was driving up the road this afternoon and it occured to me that you said ylou have 2 ttanks. The selector is definately a probable cause. I assume that you are not getting gas no matter which tank you choose. Try bypassing the selectorsolenoid

Good luck,

:)>-

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Root710